We need Plastic fuel tanks made

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

acudanut

We need Plastic fuel tanks made

Unread post by acudanut » July 18th, 2020, 9:29 pm

We all wish we had one. I have 2 metal ones that are 60 years old that are toast. I know I am not the only one, who would buy a correct fitting fuel cell made of plastic...I have even entertained the idea of just going with a low profile 10 gallon race/boat fuel cell.
Comments ?

kmam
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: We need Plastic fuel tanks made

Unread post by kmam » July 18th, 2020, 9:52 pm

Know what you mean. I had mine sandblasted and a million pin holes emerged! Covered it with a special two part mix and had it relined so it does the job even though it looks pretty crappy. Originally thought about the same boat fuel tank idea but the two part was an easier solution as the original fittings wee all there and it fitted under the seat...
Howard

Daimler Ferret Mk 1/2
AM General M151A2
Austin Champ

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » July 19th, 2020, 6:06 am

It's all been tried before !
In May 1974, experiments were carried out at Fort Greeley, Alaska, to establish the viability of plastic tanks on various vehicles including the M151, M151A1 and M151A2. Report No. 200-1100-1115 indicated that the tank for testing on the M715 disappeared (fell off and not recovered) and the tank for testing on the M151 was found to have an insufficiently high "collar" to prevent the in-tank assembly (fuel filter and pickup) from bottoming-out. Sealing rings were used to raise the height of the collar but they started to leak. Likewise, the fuel filler extension was found to leak where it met the tank.

A further test was carried out in the Panama Canal Zone, Report No. B-003584, in April 75 to see how plastic tanks performed in hot climates. The report indicates that swelling and extending of the fuel tanks was noticed.

The recommendations in both reports said that non-metallic fuel tanks were feasible...with modifications to overcome the problems identified when using these in hot and cold climates.
Unfortunately there is no record of how the Mil reacted to the reports, but the absence of plastic fuel tanks on our mutts seems to indicate that the idea was not pursued further.

Ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » July 19th, 2020, 10:04 am

Considering that all fuel tanks are plastic nowadays you can see the advancement in manufacturing. That and keep in mind that the military was only looking for a 10 year lifespan on a vehicle. They did not care about rusted out tanks 30 years or more down the road. As far as making one now? No problem, know someone with a large enough 3D printer?
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » July 19th, 2020, 10:34 am

We've come a very long way since 1974. My guess is, such a fuel tank would be very doable but I am no expert on plastics.

In the past, I have relied upon the Renu process to restore tanks to usefulness. It IS expensive but what you end up with is a PVC coating over the entire interior and exterior of your tank and a tank that effectively becomes plastic inside and out, with a metal skeleton. Pinholes and rust perforation (normally considered undesirable in a fuel tank) actually serve to help anchor the PVC across the metal barrier, connecting inside and outside coatings to one another. Now that's a good way to turn a negative into a positive.

But, as has been mentioned. after baking, the coating does appear somewhat irregular and is in no way comparable to the smooth finish of a metal tank. But, if you place function over form, Renu is really a very workable solution to shot-out fuel tanks and you will end up with a tank that will last longer than your lifetime. I have had personal experience with a Renu-ed tank and was very pleased with the result. I will it them again.

The process can be seen on Youtube. Be forewarned. Watching these videos is comparable to watching a video of a surgical hip replacement. It is an ugly, scary, yet fascinating process but it does yield excellent results.

Cheers,
TJ

csmith
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by csmith » July 23rd, 2020, 7:26 pm

Not by any means an expert but we have looked a few times at injection molding, the cost of the mold is huge, even in China. But I have no doubt they could be made today, but the demand vs cost of mold and MOQ for first run would never work for the hobby market.
1976 M151A2 4 Color Cammo Mutt, aquired August 09
1976 or 7? M151A2 "Miss Sandy" Driver, aquired May 2010
Former owner M151A2 "Miss Saigon" Vietnam Rescue Sold Sept 09
Fond appreciation for the M151 Breed!!

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » July 23rd, 2020, 7:30 pm

3D printer
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » July 24th, 2020, 2:38 pm

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rjs-3010001

Without actual measuring the gas tank compartment, this might work. Access to the fill cap might take a extra minute. Hmmmm