No-kidding, Real Source for A2 Horn Button Repair Kit

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Re: No-kidding, Real Source for A2 Horn Button Repair Kit

Unread post by m3a1 » June 4th, 2020, 10:46 am

Ok, seriously, does anyone think that a metal cup shrank?....even one encased is plastic? NOT going to happen. And with only a couple shot-from-the-hip measurements of 1.99 vs. 1.967 taken at what appears to be only one location on a circumference (that's...ummm.. only a difference of .023). This ain't the space shuttle. It's a metal cup in a steering wheel.

So here's what I'm thinking. If that steering wheel is laying flat on a flat surface when on its face, that metal cup is probably still round but taking additional internal measurements on different axis wouldn't be a bad way to verify that. If it's not laying flat, then perhaps it has been damaged in an accident and one of the spokes has deformed the cup. Start any job like this with a Reagan policy...."Trust, but verify".

If this was my truck and with down & dirty measurements that close I would assume this stock steering wheel (one that formerly had a horn button in it) was going to be generally A-OK. To resolve the minor damage I can see around the edges, I would figure it might just need a little edge dressing rather than requiring major surgery. By the way, if you don't have a Dremel Tool, get a piece of emery cloth (aka crocus cloth) and have at it by hand.... and don't forget to ask momma for a Dremel Tool for Father's day.

Cheers,
TJ