Hoods

a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Hoods

Unread post by rupert's » April 17th, 2020, 11:34 am

Hello everyone! I have been restoring an A2 for a long time ... Soon I will finish the body part and I am thinking of buying the canvas hood soon. I have found two different references but I don't know what real difference there is ... maybe the color? The material?

The two references are:
2540-01-2173 https://www.armyparts4u.com/en/jeep-mut ... lding-top/
2540-01-020-2173 https://www.us-army-military-shop.de/pr ... ts_id=2636

I have also seen other tarps that only cover the top and not the back, do you know what differences there are when using them? Are they more practical or do they have any other advantages?

I hope you can help me with a little information to decide to buy one or the other ... Regards

rickf
General
General

Re: Hoods

Unread post by rickf » April 17th, 2020, 12:04 pm

The tops you show there are vinyl and not canvas. I am pretty sure they only used canvas on maybe the first year of the A2? Ken the Muttguru would have more info on that. They found out real fast in Vietnam that canvas rotted in the jungle atmosphere so they replaced all the tops with vinyl. And as far as color there are four different colors of green. It is sort of a crapshoot what you are going to get when you buy a top since they were not labeled as different. And as far as which one out of the two listed, they should both be the same, color not withstanding.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » April 17th, 2020, 12:17 pm

1) There are vinyl tops and there are canvas tops. A2's had vinyl.
2) It's your vehicle and you can put whatever top you want on yours but generally the canvas tops would be more for straights and a1's.
3) Canvas tops come in two styles - two back windows were the first ones and later came the one window version.
4) Vinyl is one window only and should hold up better in wet, humid environments.
5) Vinyl comes in several colors - od green, grey, and forest green + ????
6) Your best bet for a canvas these days is reproductions. Color dependent on the canvas they use.
7) Not sure about what tarps you are talking about. The top's (vinyl or canvas) rear can be pulled up underneath the top and attached to the front bow support so it looks more open. If you didn't have a top cover in the field I'm sure improvisation was used with tarps, ponchos, etc.
8) Some of the reproduction canvas sites make "summer" tops which are not authentic and do not cover the rear.
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by rupert's » April 17th, 2020, 2:49 pm

Wow! two answers that fast! thanks!
okay! vinyl or canvas ... the material does not worry me, it was a way of saying it.

I understand then that I must buy it from vinyl and that the reference is the same regardless of the color, I can only contact the seller to know exactly if I buy a green or a forest green ...
On the other hand I also don't care if it has a rear window or two
Surveyor reproductions where can I find them?

-I don't understand what you mean by "the canvas tops would be more for straights"

Again thank you very much for your wisdom!

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » April 17th, 2020, 9:28 pm

Canvas was used on the M151 (also called a "straight"), the M151A1, and the very early M151A2. The first couple of years of canvas had a double rear window. Vinyl was used later on all models in service, including any remaining M151, M151A1, and M151A2 models. Vinyl tops came in several shades of green, and there seems to be no differntiation in how they were issued, and to what branch of service the different colors of vinyl tops were to. Any branch of the military and any particular unit might have a mix of different color tops, doors, and side curtains on any vehicle.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » April 17th, 2020, 10:24 pm

Here are 3 of the colors.

Guy
M151 Body Panels - http://www.m151bodypanels.com/

'68 A1 - Under full resto

Mark
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mark » April 17th, 2020, 11:24 pm

Fits in with the camouflage theme of the mutt!
mark

1968 m274A5
1960 m151
1981 m151A2
1964 m416
1971 m416

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by rupert's » April 18th, 2020, 5:17 am

OK OK! I have already understood! Thanks everyone for your help!

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » April 18th, 2020, 4:22 pm

Rupert......

Essentially, there are tops with one rear window and tops with two rear windows. Tops are also in canvas and vinyl.
There are also those color variations too.

Two-Window Tops
These were ALWAYS in canvas. They were issued from 1960 to late 1969.

One-Window Tops
These were issued from 1970 and came with the newly codified M151A2 model. They were in canvas.
Note-1: These canvas tops continued to be issued until stocks ran out.
Note-2: These tops were also issued for use on M151 and M151A1 trucks when two-window tops went out-of-stock.
Note-3: The vinyl top was not codified until 1976. If it is authenticity you require, your A2 should be one-window. It may be canvas for a vehicle delivered up to 1976/77, thereafter it should be vinyl. But it's your jeep !

hope this helps....
Ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by rupert's » April 18th, 2020, 7:06 pm

Thanks for the muttguru answer, very technical and precise :)
I don't know what year my A2 is made ... The seller could not tell me. I will buy the one of a window and surely in vinyl, It is the most abundant and easy to find. I guess vinyl will be better than canvas in duration and use, so everything points to vinyl. a greeting

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » April 19th, 2020, 9:32 pm

rupert's

Forgot to say, welcome to the forum. :D

Where are you located :?:
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

rupert's
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by rupert's » April 20th, 2020, 4:33 am

raymond! thanks for the welcome, I live in Spain, Extremadura