a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Re: Magnetic Drill Press

Unread post by m3a1 » February 7th, 2020, 12:46 am

Well, THAT's not gonna happen.

Right now I'm addressing the matter of these armor bolts (screws)....and the business of countersink bits. fun fun fun :roll:

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » February 7th, 2020, 10:05 am

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » February 7th, 2020, 11:10 am

Yep, looked almost like that, well, figure a 45 year old version of that but you have to remember that I was running a business and needed it for the jobs I was doing. It paid for itself in less than a year and I sold it ten years later for around 500.00.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

old dodge guy
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by old dodge guy » February 7th, 2020, 1:17 pm

There might be some other ideas to try. You already mentioned renting, so I will pass that.
Heave you considered just laying out the holes and going to a machine shop or truck outfit and having them do the holes? They would have he tools and expertise to do the job, probable cheaper than buy/renting the tool. Yes, you would have to get the machine there, but just having them do the work might be better. Besides, if you screw up a measurement, just blame them. :lol: :roll:
It CAN be done by hand, experience talking. Much slower, labor intensive, but doable. Also cheaper.
You can take the panel off and drill laying flat, also labor intensive and better done by two or more people, hopefully young guys with strong backs.
If you do it yourself.....buy NEW drill bits, of good to excellent quality, no cheapies here. Drill test holes in something else first....make sure the the new bits are correctly centered, not off center. Yeah.....there is a reason I say that. Saves a LOT of yelling between friends when the hole crawls off to one side. :roll:
Measure many times, drill once. Maybe layout one day, recheck measurements the next. Have a friend or someone check your measurements. Be certain before drilling. Again...experience. :roll:
Good luck with your project, when finished you will enjoy it even more when you can say "I did that".
Still crazy after all these years.
The OD bug bit me in 1970......and I have never been the same

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by lpcoating » February 7th, 2020, 2:03 pm

"Measure many times, drill once. Maybe layout one day, recheck measurements the next. Have a friend or someone check your measurements. Be certain before drilling. Again...experience. :roll:"

Good idea. At the shop, we call that "Tack and check".

Guy
M151 Body Panels - http://www.m151bodypanels.com/

'68 A1 - Under full resto

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » February 7th, 2020, 6:29 pm

Well, we're certainly all on the same sheet of music. I took measurements today, photos, made notes and sketches and YES, all will be rechecked again and again until the day of...

Can't take the half track to a place and don't want to remove the rear armor as there are some welds where you would not find any on REAL armor. So removal is not really an option. No matter, we'll get through this.

I began this with the idea that I'd make a template and use the transfer punches but then realized that any error in the template would replicate itself again and again until bad things began to happen. I'd like to avoid that.

Option two is far more simple. Scribe a line on the X axis (check check and recheck) and use calipers to find the intersecting points on the Y axis (check check and recheck) duplicating the location of the fasteners on the real plates. Not that difficult.

Sitting down with my notes tonight and figuring where everything might end up. There is absolutely no hurry at this point because I still don't have the equipment so the planning phase is not going to be rushed in any way.

Hambone, I called Tejas (who had a very attractive rental price, by the way). Not only do they not have one for rent (it's broken) but they also do not have any for sale. Boo hoo.

After I review my plans I will decide whether or not to go shopping for low-end or mid range models The good stuff is simply out of reach when cost is balanced against the amount of future use it would receive..

Thanks for the input, fellas.

Cheers,
TJ

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » February 7th, 2020, 7:20 pm

With all this talk of templates and measurements and all of this you were saying this is for cargo carriers that were a field mod in service? Do you have the carriers? If you do then why can't you lay it in position ad drill through the holes that are in the carrier?This eliminates templates and puts the holes in the exact position they need to be to fit the carrier. If no holes in the carrier then position the carrier where it needs to be and support it however and drill the holes through both pieces at the same time, hole perfectly positioned.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » February 7th, 2020, 8:55 pm

You're on the right track there. (sorry...I couldn't help myself) The racks will be easy. But the back panel on my track is just a plain sheet of 1/4" plate without any retaining bolts (actually, they're machine screws) or anything else for that matter. So all of this effort is meant to disguise the fact that the rear panel is a complete farce. Adding the retaining bolts and other sundry bits (like footman loops) will do much to disguise the panel and make it look more authentic.

Now I'm gonna school you just a little bit. The first 'luggage' racks were indeed field mods from the gittyup. But, as with many field mods, word of their success went back through channels and they were approved because they were necessary. There are even archival pics taken of unissued pilot models equipped with the racks. So, indeed, anything goes.

The racks I have just purchased are going to be one of those things that people who are extremely knowledgable in half tracks would squint at while tilting their head to one side or the other. Chiefly because these racks are for the M2/M2A1 but my faux rear armor is more like an M3. Mine will never see such intense scrutiny so that doesn't matter to me one bit. I just want something more than this large, boring piece of metal back there. It's an eyesore and it has to be dealt with.

Cheers,
TJ

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » February 7th, 2020, 10:04 pm

Ok, I think we have a winner here....

Slugger JHM USA-101 Magnetic Base Drill - $600 (includes shipping). Chuck and adaptor is going to be an additional $80.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » February 8th, 2020, 11:13 am

So just source the correct rear armor and be done with it. It is only money. :twisted: :lol: :lol: What are you going to do when you need to replace the tracks? :roll: :roll:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » February 8th, 2020, 12:43 pm

WAY ahead of you there. I already have a source for the M2 rear armor but one of the flies in the ointment is, it's being produced north of Chicago...

and...

The other fly is a biggie. You might recall that I said my track looked more like an M3. It has the floor from an M16 in it so it's altogether longer than an M2 so, having M2 armor doesn't get my anywhere. Nope. To sort this out would require a full court press. Everything aft of the cab would have to be replaced.... which is only a matter of money.

Better part of valor will be to pay a little attention to the back panel (as is the plan) and add a little bling and more detail until it looks tolerably passable. Most folks don't even know what they're looking at anyway.

As for tracks... I have brand new tracks. I have brand new rollers and lots and lots of other stuff. You know the drill, my fellow pack rat..

Cheers,
TJ

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » February 8th, 2020, 8:24 pm

That I do, And you probably bought the track before they were rare and EXPENSIVE! I don't know didly about halftracks but there is a guy who brings his to the Virginia rally every year and we got an exclusive ride in a a few years ago. I just tried to find the pics but I can't find them. I will post them when I find them. His is perfect right down to the last detail.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » February 9th, 2020, 12:45 am

My track, not so much. Still plenty there for me to love, though. Looks good enough for parades. Over the years I've gathered a fair amount of stuff for it and a goodly portion of that is still on the shelf.

I figured you were angling for some pics. Cant show much as it's pretty well tucked into its space.

Meanwhile, I'm hoping this eBay deal doesn't go south. This seller was way WAY lower than everyone else...by a lot. Tool purchase doesn't include the drill chuck and adaptor, or the drills, or any of the other necessary accoutrements like cutting pastes or waxes (necessary for drilling on the vertical plane. The expense is bloody awful but once it's in my hot little hands, it's done and done.

Let's keep those fingers crossed that the tool arrives and is what it's claimed to be.

Cheers,
TJ

Mr. Recovery
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mr. Recovery » February 9th, 2020, 1:06 pm

When I was visiting with TJ I was able to get 2 photos of the 1/2 track, it is a beast!! :)

1960 M151 Run 1
1963 M151 Willys DoD 10-63 in Baltimore
1989 Alley Cat. "work in Progress"
NRA Life Member
American Legion Post 275 Fl
US Army 6 years 2nd Armored Cavalry Bindlach Germany
Colorado Army Nat. Guard 5 years
Md Air Guard 15 years active duty on C-130's

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » February 9th, 2020, 5:45 pm

Yeah. That was a fun day.

I think everyone will agree that back panel needs a makeover!