a place to discuss anything of interest to owners of M151 jeeps

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

CentraSpike75
Sergeant
Sergeant

Carburetor Rebuild tips page?

Unread post by CentraSpike75 » November 9th, 2019, 9:27 pm

Hello,
If I remember correctly, there was a page/post on the various Zenith carbs and rebuild tips. I cant seem to find it. Could someone please point me in the correct direction?
Thank you!
Corpsman, even Marines need heroes
1965 M151A1
M151 A1 parts vehicle
1951 M37
2010 M-Gator A1 Sold
2003 M-Gator Sold
M100 Trailer Sold
M105A2 Trailer Sold

FoxMike
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Carburetor Rebuild tips page?

Unread post by FoxMike » May 15th, 2023, 10:29 pm

Bumping this question. I’m getting ready to do a rebuild and looking to see if there are any “gotchas” to know about the Zeniths before diving in. Mine is a 13660B mfg 4/88

Edit: I found a few threads on the other g site that probably have what I’m looking for.
M151A2 AMG
1952 M38A1 sold.

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » May 16th, 2023, 8:10 am

Rick is the resident carburetor expert.
Perhaps he will chime in.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » May 17th, 2023, 12:44 pm

Sorry, This one dropped off the current list before I got back to it. One of the main things to watch out for on these carbs is the idle jet tube in the bowl when you take the bowl off. One of two things will happen, it will fall out and you will never find it or it will never come out for the rest of it's life. Basically you really need to watch out for it falling out. Also you need to make sure you get the tiny gasket on it when you reassemble things. If it does not come out on its own then it is going to be a fun day. I get two short 2x4s and carb cleaner and WD-40 and I just keep cleaning and lubing and smacking the bowl upside down on the boards making sure the jet is in the opening between boards. pay close attention because if after one of the hits it has started to come out and you smack it again you can hit the jet and destroy it. Ask me how I know. Take the idle mixture screw out and blow out the passages with carb cleaner and then blow cleaner into the holes in the carb throat from inside the throat. You need to make sure that idle passage is perfectly clean. Then blow out with air but do not use full shop pressure or you will blow out the welsh plug at the back of the passage in the flange of the carb. Float setting is critical at 9/32", float drop not so critical but try for 3/8". On all of my rebuilds I run a file over the intake flange until it is perfectly flat, some of them are warped quite badly. Replacing the throttle shaft and choke shaft seals is tricky and I really cannot tell you how to do it other than be very careful putting the metal cover back on the choke seal. I file the outside leading edges of that cup so it will go in without grabbing the casting.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

FoxMike
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by FoxMike » May 26th, 2023, 4:58 pm

Thank you for the great tips!