Where is Moose ?

Unread post by acudanut » October 16th, 2019, 7:39 pm

It's been awhile since he was here. ?? :?: :?: :?:

rickf
General
General

Re: Where is Moose ?

Unread post by rickf » October 16th, 2019, 8:20 pm

While he still owns the site and pays the bills he has turned the operation of it over to me.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » October 16th, 2019, 8:23 pm

Yes, I knew that Rick. I was Just wondering how the Moose is doing. !! No disrespect Sir.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » October 16th, 2019, 8:38 pm

No need to call me sir, I was a sergeant and I worked for a living! I have not talked to him in a couple years other than some comments off and on about the site on his Facebook page but I guess he is doing OK.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » October 17th, 2019, 10:02 am

Where is Muttguru, Raymond, Mr. Recovery, Fil, Halftracknut, Salt6, WCMatt, csmith, Vin, Lindsey, 199mp, lpcoating?????
Your input is highly missed, would be nice to see you guys back as regular posters. :D

Mr. Recovery
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mr. Recovery » October 17th, 2019, 11:42 am

I am here just about every day but not posting much due to not working on anything since I moved and only have a small garage that is loaded with 3 Motorcycles and a lot of tools, been busy cutting trees and clearing a space to put up my steel building, sometimes "life" gets in the way of the things we do for fun!! :)

PS, well crap, looks like Photobucket has blurred all my photo's :evil:

Dan.
1960 M151 Run 1
1963 M151 Willys DoD 10-63 in Baltimore
1989 Alley Cat. "work in Progress"
NRA Life Member
American Legion Post 275 Fl
US Army 6 years 2nd Armored Cavalry Bindlach Germany
Colorado Army Nat. Guard 5 years
Md Air Guard 15 years active duty on C-130's

Vzike
Sergeant Major of the "G"
Sergeant Major of the "G"

Unread post by Vzike » October 17th, 2019, 1:23 pm

I asked Fil why he was not posting. He is not able to sign into the g838. Fil is out there and doing well, just not posting.

I’ve not been able to post pics, and have been traveling the world for a couple years, so I haven’t been on much.

Vin

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » October 17th, 2019, 2:14 pm

Good to hear from you Dan and Vin, I have moved to Postimages, Photobucket has me hostage also, have most of my pics downloaded. Maybe one of our computer gurus can get Fil going, I see him hanging on the 503 from time to time. Dan, you probably have more projects than I, get that shop finished so you can get back to working on those projects. :D Rick will be upset if you sold the pool. :lol:

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » October 17th, 2019, 2:51 pm

Fil talked to me about that issue and I told him a couple things to try before resigning him up under a new account. I saw that he has successfully gotten online. He never called me to say otherwise. There has been talk on the Facebook page apparently that I think I know it all and I am making this site toxic. THAT is exactly why I do not do Facebook but apparently it works for a lot of people since it was Fil that posted on there asking if anyone else noticed that the membership was dropping off on the forums. I look at it this way, If people want to go to Facebook over here then go for it. No skin off of my back. Eventually I am going to have to go with some sort of subscription route and I am sure that is going to chase off more people. I don't think Jim is going to continue to pay for this site forever and I cannot afford to pay for it myself. This site went from a site that was perfectly self policing with little to no intervention from moderators to now where I am on here now while I am 400 miles from home and on vacation. I fight spammers daily and I spent my entire Christmas holiday trying to get the site back online. I spent my entire birthday doing an update. I get zero from this site just so you all know. I contribute because that is who I am, I like to help people that need help. I do not know it all, when I don't know something I either do not answer that post or I defer to someone else. If it turns out that I was wrong on something I am the first to apologize and admit I was wrong. If people want to trash me behind my back, so be it, That just tells me they don't have the balls to say it directly to me. Eventually I will get tired of hearing it and I will just clam up and not give any advice at all.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

199th mp
Major
Major

Unread post by 199th mp » October 17th, 2019, 8:19 pm

hambone, i am on here only rarely now, as i have very little to say, since the need arose to sell my M151A1 and my M416 trailer. i miss them every day, but it had to be. how i wish it could be otherwise. life doesn't always go the way we want it to. thanks for mentioning me, though.

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Hambone » October 17th, 2019, 8:55 pm

199th mp, glad to see you lurking instead of disappearing, life changes everyday, keep thinking positive, the day may be coming when you have to purchase another. :D
Rick, After 16000 :shock: posts, you are bound to piss someone off :lol: , I will say after 10 years you and many others here have helped me with any question I have had. Having a place to turn to with our questions and comments makes this site what it is, people interpret things in many ways but I have never taken you to be Toxic, I am a person of forgiveness not division, we can all come together.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » October 18th, 2019, 3:09 am

I'm going to jump in here and I'm writing this at 2AM :shock: because I think some of you might need this with your morning coffee.

As to the matter of the strength of the site, things seemed to be going strong until Photobucket reversed their policy and decided they'd do better by holding their clients hostage. Ultimately, that laid waste to a lot of useful posts here on the site as well as thousands of useful photos. Happily, most of us are people who don't appreciate that sort of business model and we took our business elsewhere. The Photobucket thing is the straw that broke the camel's back, wiping out YEARS of important contributions. It had absolutely nothing to do with what any of us did.... other than whether or not we tried to rebuild our posts with replacement photos. Success of sites such as 'ours' depends largely upon visual references and those references go far beyond pure entertainment value. So I would suggest we lay blame where it belongs. Upon outside influences.... Not from within.

As a result of the Photobucket debacle, I spent a great deal of time and energy going back into my posts and rebuilding those posts with new connections to Postimg, so that they would be useful and entertaining again and because I felt those posts had value. If a member appreciates the things this site has to offer, even if it is only for the camaraderie, my suggestion is that a member make contributions, even if it is only to favorite photos. Much of the stuff I've been posting of late has meant to be humorous and entertaining. I do not claim that all my stuff is directly related to M151s but it is certainly related to the lifestyles of many of us who collect FMVs (and maybe to serve as a warning to some whose FMV mania is not yet all encompassing.) Previously I was posting stuff that was chiefly meant to be informative. In order for this site to be kept fresh and relevant, the membership really must contribute and that includes everyone from Generals all the way down to the Privates. If you're NOT contributing by posting, don't complain about inactivity on the site.

I'm terribly sorry to hear about certain claims as to other's so-called toxicity. Happily, there is a method for dealing with such things. If you are so sufficiently aggrieved that you must have satisfaction, you take your grief up with the other guy via a PM. You be civil with that person. You keep an open mind but first and foremost, and above and beyond all the personality issues....stay on point. But in the final analysis, this site is for M151 enthusiasts. It says so right up at the top of the page. No promises were made that all of us are going to get along like peas and carrots which is why there is the matter of those boilerplate rules regarding not being too annoying or too easily annoyed.

Cheers,
TJ

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » October 18th, 2019, 6:21 pm

Hello Folks.
I must admit to being very surprised to read this topic. Over the years I've had 3 websites, I ran an M151 Newsletter for 49 issues and joined this board when M151-ers were (temporarily) relieved of presence on the G503 board.
Through all the years of posting I have always appreciated certain things above all others here...... and that's the friendship - camaraderie - humour, help and advice freely given by all participants without fear or favour. I really cannot recall any major (or minor) falling-out amongst members here.

I've had a jeep of one sort or another since 1964 and in the 55 years since, I've experienced other boards, magazines and clubs where "knowledge is power" and in many cases there was a pervading attitude of "those who have knowledge" being unwilling to share it with others. This board here has had the exact opposite of that attitude. Members here invariably feel that it is a duty, yes...a DUTY, to help other colleagues and many have gone above and beyond that duty to help and advise. We should all be proud of what has been achieved over the years. What unites us (our love for this little 1/4-ton wonder-truck) far outweighs the odd thing that may occasionally divide us.

Over the years I've noticed that some people have drifted off to Facebook. I don't intend to for one simple reason. This board is the archive of just about every question and answer that anyone could ask for. It's the Memory Alpha (for you Star Trek fans) of all human knowledge of the Mutt. AND IT'S SEARCHABLE TOO. Try looking up the information about the broken and re- welded distributor intermediate shaft that Gavin discovered on his M151A1 and the discovery that it had been re-welded out-of-synch by a Thai back-street mechanic......you won't find it on Facebook. You'll never find it there, nor will you find answers to many other questions on Facebook. We have everything here....we don't need Facebook.

My friend Hambone asks where is Muttguru? I'm still here and I'm still posting. At my age, I don't have the time to post as often as I used to but the main reason I hold back is that I like to let others contribute and make suggestions before I jump in...... I'm still learning new things from my colleagues here on the G838 (and the G503 too). And that's how it should be.

The short version of all this is:-
When this board (and the G503) have been off- air for short periods, it's made me realise how much I would miss them if they were gone for good. Once gone, never to return. Our common purpose is the search for mutt-related knowledge and that's what makes us all friends and colleagues. Value this board....it's a goldmine of knowledge, friendship and co-operation. Keep it that way !
Ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » October 18th, 2019, 10:52 pm

I'm still here. And as soon as I achieve my perennial New Year's resolution of conquering the planet and enslaving the entire human population, you guys are going to be the first to be "re-educated" :idea: :!: :shock:

Raymond
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » October 18th, 2019, 11:06 pm

BTW

I'm not nearly as mechanically inclined as many of you. I was recruited by Jim aka Moose to delete spam back when things started here. My other two jobs here are to provide existential inspiration and drunken incendiary commentary. (especially when aimed at SEABEE62)
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus