drive up in door unit?

"a cold rain.. is about to fall-"

Doc

Hambone
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Mutt winter storage

Unread post by Hambone » October 3rd, 2019, 8:07 pm

Don't know what kind of environment you are facing but it is nice to be able to keep it out of the elements. Make sure your coolant is up to par for cold temps, if your storing ethanol fuel, make sure you treat with Stabil for ethanol, a battery tender will save your batteries over the long run. Hambone

docwheeler
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by docwheeler » October 3rd, 2019, 8:34 pm

Battery care.... do i disconnect or install switch or breaker?

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » October 3rd, 2019, 9:12 pm

Installing a disconnect switch is always a good idea so that you can use it at shows and things for theft and tamper protection. As Hambone said, battery tender on batteries but do you have power there for the tender to plug into? And remember that you have two 12 volt batteries, not one 24 volt. It is really best to use two separate tenders, one for each battery. If you have no plans to drive it you can take the cable off that connects the two batteries together and that effectively disconnects everything. If you will be needing to move it then a disconnect switch with the key accessible in the tool box under the seat or in front of the seat and the two tenders routed through the battery compartment access holes up to the main area next to the seat. When you hook up the tenders with the batteries fully hooked up ready to run just be sure to hook one tender to one battery and the other tender to the other battery and they will only be seeing 12 volts each from the battery they are hooked to. Do NOT hook to the positive of the battery and the body for ground, one of the tenders will be seeing 24 volts if done that way. And I use the marine Stabil for winter storage with a full tank of gas. It protects much better than the regular Stabil with ethanol fuels. It does not hurt to put a little more than the recommended amount in so do not get out you measuring cup.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » October 4th, 2019, 6:38 pm

I have been storing mine since 1997 with a full tank, Stabil, battery disconnect switch, indoors but unheated. Every 2 weeks or so, I start it and run it at high idle for 15 to 20 minutes. Never had batteries fail that way.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus