4th Annual WWII and Veterans Weekend(SM) June 18/19 Michigan

This is the place to let us know about your upcoming event, rally, parade, swap meet, etc.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

themilitaryshow
civilian

4th Annual WWII and Veterans Weekend(SM) June 18/19 Michigan

Unread post by themilitaryshow » March 8th, 2011, 10:48 am

Join us in the fastest growing show in the Midwest on the shores of beautiful Lake St. Clair's Metro Beach. Vendors of military memorabilia, collectibles, military vehicle parts/accessories, etc. are welcome. One low price for the whole weekend. Indoor tent spots and 15x30 outdoor spots available. Special accommodations will be made for larger vendors. With on site camping w/shower facilities along with a built in police force, you are assured of a fun, clean and safe weekend! Registration in mandatory and is easy! Visit http://www.themilitaryshow.com or call Paul at 586.292.7665 for more information. We hope to see you there!

themilitaryshow
civilian

Re: 4th Annual WWII and Veterans Weekend(SM) June 18/19 Michigan

Unread post by themilitaryshow » May 17th, 2011, 12:55 pm

Due to results of the unforeseen actions by former WWII and Veterans Weekend(SM) participants John Lind, Arsenal of Democracy Museum and the Arsenal of Democracy Motor Pool, we have been forced to cancel this year’s show. We are vigorously pursuing legal remedies for these actions and hope to be able to announce further details soon. We apologize for any inconvenience or confusion that these actions may have caused for you and we thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your support. If you have been contacted by any one of the aforementioned, we ask that you please let us know what you were told. Again, thank you! We couldn’t have done this the past three years without you!

Paul and Joe
WWII and Veterans Weekend(SM)
Acme Productions, LLC

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » May 17th, 2011, 7:23 pm

??????????????????????????????????????????

Anybody know what this is all about? Sounds like some bad blood there.

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » May 17th, 2011, 7:30 pm

Looks like the people mentioned in the post have other ideas, hope it all works out for the hobbies sake.

http://www.veteransweekend.com/

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » May 17th, 2011, 8:05 pm

Arsenal of defense sounds like a very clickish club, or maybe I am reading too much into it. Here is a letter directly from their website, read paragraph 2.

Arsenal of Democracy Motorpool Official Correspondence

Subject: Commanders Notes for Fall 2010
Author: John Lind
Release Date: 10/19/10
Clearance: All Members

Time has flown by during the last 18 months. We as a club have learned a lot about our group, and ourselves. We must be doing something right because there have been other groups copying what we are now doing. We can be proud that we were among the first to combine many of the different aspects of our hobby at our shows. Vehicles and Reenactors for one, as up till that point no local area MVPA group had done that. It wasn't very long ago that the Yankee Air Show was the only event in town. Many of us teamed up with Refe Renforth at the Clarkston show, and we all had such a good time we wanted to do it more than twice a year.

Our goal was a simple one: increase the popularity of our hobby, educate the general public on the history of military vehicles, and make a few dollars so we could have bigger shows. John Cole was our first commander, and one day he sat me down and chatted with me about the direction of our group. As it turns out, just about everything he told me would happen, has transpired. At this point, I feel we are in our terrible twos. We are trying to do everything at once, and there are also those outside our group, for one reason or another, who want to stop us or steal our ideas. Many of our fine members have put their heart and soul into our events. Please don't let the outside forces steal your JOY of displaying your vehicle and telling your story.

We have a few NEW events next year, and are changing the dates of other existing events. This will all be officially announced very soon, and will allow more of us to participate in our events, and help us further achieve our goals. We have found through bitter tears that we need to team up with groups who truly believe in our mission, and eliminate those who are there just for the party. Having fun is a good thing, but we are done with Professional Party Planners!

When I took over as Commander, I wanted to do two things: increase our membership, and become a 501 C 3 non-profit, so we could do charity fundraising. Then I got the bright idea to try to bring the National Convention to our area. Well, I have accomplished the first two goals, and the convention bid is on the national board table to be voted on in Nov 2010.

I look forward to working with our XO, John Yingling for a smooth change of command, however I will still be an active part of the group. I will also be turning my attention to another personal goal, which is the construction of a building for the Arsenal Museum, to be located in Warren, Mi. I know that I haven't always been the easiest person to get along with. Please forgive me for that, but my mission has always been clear. As a wise man once said, "You're entitled to your own opinion, just not your own facts!"

God Bless you all, may the joy in your heart stay forever.
John Lind
CO AODMP
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » May 17th, 2011, 9:50 pm

Found out some more info on SS. Apparently this is a promotion company that partnered with the group in the past but now service marked(?) the name and wanted to use all of the pictures and stats from past shows and put this one on themselves without the clubs permission. Needless to say the club refused to sponsor so the promotion co. ran out of money. That is how it was explained to me. The real show is in September.

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

toptiger
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by toptiger » May 18th, 2011, 3:29 am

we had sort of the same thing happen with our every-2-year reunion of pilots and crews from our assault helicopter company.

First reunion was: find your own room or sleep anywhere you want, no fees, bring beer, drinks,whatever, and cook hotdogs or whatever people bring, casual dress. Bring kids, wives, girlfriends.
The meeting place was a 24 hour working campfire ring next to Joe's trailer in the middle of Oklamoma, open 24 hours.

Well that one and the next one were like that, very cool and great fun. THEN the organizers started organizing {and no Rick, it was not the Officers this time} so now it is reserve 1 year in advance, 50$ registration, formal banquet dinner 70$ per, fancy hotel, booze only in hospitality room, agendas, dues, wive's program. etc....

No fun any more except those unplanned moments when a few of us sit down outside together and remember.
Author M-151 MUTT, The Vietnam Jeep
Paper edition http://www.blurb.com/books/1646321
IOS ebook iBookstore: http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/id598605516
2 M151A2s, M416 trailer, M274A5 Mule,
Former Army Aviator, Bien Hoa, VN 1968-69
Mustang Gunship Platoon Commander
68th Assault Helicopter Company 'Top Tigers'
Central Florida and France

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » May 18th, 2011, 7:19 am

That is what has happened to my high school reunions. They got to fancy and expensive for the guys who don't make much (me) and were canceled for lack of interest.

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

themilitaryshow
civilian

Unread post by themilitaryshow » June 28th, 2011, 2:55 am

WWII and Veterans Weekend(SM) was created by Paul G. Palazzolo in February 2008 as a fundraiser for our local VFW and to help out other organizations of our choice. Every detail for the three events produced were undertaken or overseen personally by Paul and Joe from document creation, advertising and promotion, website design/maintenance, logistics, etc.

At the close of the 2010 show, the decision was made to discontinue support of John Lind, Arsenal of Democracy Museum and the Arsenal of Democracy Motor Pool as we felt they were making no progress toward their stated goal and displayed very questionable behavior that did not agree with the spirit of our event including Mr. Lind's attempt to misappropriate Yankee Air Museum’s Thunder over Michigan moniker by applying for and receiving a federal trademark of the same name. Yankee subsequently filed legal action against Mr. Lind and settled the manner out of court. Mr. Lind was forced to abandon the federal trademark application that was filed in violation of Yankee’s rights among other penalties. It is unfortunate that Mr. Lind is attempting the same action with WWII and Veterans Weekend(SM).

The rightful and legal service mark for WWII and Veterans Weekend(SM) was approved and registered by the State of Michigan on September 16th, 2010. On September 17th, 2010, a cease and desist letter was sent to John Lind demanding he stop infringing on the mark, as it came to our attention that a new website was put online using our rightful and legal name. On September 22nd, 2010 Mr. Lind filed Certificates of Assumed Names and a Trademark application with the State of Michigan in direct conflict with our rightful and legal service mark. The certificates of assumed names were granted but the trademark was denied due to the conflict with our rightful and legal service mark. This was all done via expedited service in an attempt to misappropriate what rightfully belongs to us much in the same way that they did to Yankee Air Museum. (See Yankee Air Force, Inc. vs. John H. Lind case # 2:10-cv-12874-AJT –VMM US District Court Eastern District of Michigan Southern Division). Knowing from experience (Lind's costs to settle Yankee) that financially supporting a lawsuit of this type would be a challenge, Mr. Lind assumed that he could get away with this and we would do nothing about it. Using these fraudulently obtained certificates, Mr. Lind fabricated a great tale to our sponsors causing the loss of substantial sponsorship money for our 2011 event. Without this sponsorship money we were forced to cancel this year’s show. We understand our sponsors reluctance to get involved with the ongoing conflict and have received assurance that when we have it settled that we have their full support for any future WWII and Veterans Weekend(SM) event we may decide to produce. We are currently preparing litigation against John Lind, Arsenal of Democracy Museum and the Arsenal of Democracy Motor Pool and fully intend to vigorously defend our rightful and legal service mark.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » June 28th, 2011, 7:39 am

Sir, You are a promotion company are you not? Are you really interested in historic military equipment or are you interested in making money off of the showing of said equipment? I tend to believe the latter. Please do not look for sympathy from a bunch of vet's that gave you the right to sue for your claim to fame. IF you were a military museum then you might get some support but you are not. I do not know John Lind nor did I follow the link you provided for his so called crimes. We are a military vehicle collectors forum and as such I, at least, do not like to see other collectors stepped on. Then again I do not like politics and that is all this fight between you and he is.

JUST MY OPINION.

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed