roll over

This is a spot for posting those old photos of your service days, your favorite tractor, whatever...Don't be shy we all love looking at pictures! No Nekkid People though, this is a "G" rated site!

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

rickf
General
General

Re: roll over

Unread post by rickf » December 7th, 2019, 5:21 pm

It was fun but that is probably the only "race" where I was actually scared.You are sideways and looking out the side at ............................ nothing! Just air and clouds and like a damn fool you are still standing on the gas!!
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Elvis Presley
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by Elvis Presley » December 8th, 2019, 11:36 pm

Crazy stuff!!
Couldn't help but add these pics of a couple poor FoMoCo dummies doing their job at the test track...
1966 M151A1 ___All matching '44 M1 Garand
1951 H&R M1 Garland__1966 Fairlane GTA
1973 Torino wagon_____1942 03A3 - Unissued
1939 Unissued 1903____1944 M1 Inland Carbine
1966 M-16____________1943 1911A1
1918 Model 1917 .45 Revolver
1943 M1 Quality Hardware Carbine
1967 Saginaw 1919A6
1943 Saginaw 1919A4
1952 M1C and M1D Garands
KD8QEQ

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » December 9th, 2019, 11:17 am

I always loved that video. Lets PROVE how unsafe an M151 is. Well run an M38 or 38A1 on that same test. Run a CJ-5, or7 on it. Or any vehicle for that matter and end results will all be the same. That was just a waste of taxpayers money there, everybody knew the end result before it happened.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

12Bravo
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by 12Bravo » December 10th, 2019, 1:25 pm

Antenna brackets and spare tire saved my butt. read somewhere years ago ,top bows when up are suppose to be good for at least two complete roll overs. I see pictures of 151's turn over and top bows are intact ,so must be some truth to it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » December 10th, 2019, 4:44 pm

I don't think think those bows are going to do squat, they are not much more than emt tubing. You can bend them just by twisting them if you aren't careful.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » December 11th, 2019, 12:19 am

I was in traffic 28 of my 30 years of law enforcement. I've been to three county fairs and I've even had an Afghan stand behind me with a straight razor and give me a shave, so I've seen a thing or two. All roll-overs are not created equal. Every little thing helps in a rollover but don't hang your hopes on the little things. Bows may help and in some circumstances they may ultimately even be a game changer because they give and in doing so, they absorb energy without relaying a sudden stop to the vehicle (and occupants) but don't equate them to roll-over protection. The chief safety issues for occupants in a rollover scenario are crushing and sudden impacts with things within the vehicle and also with those things that would otherwise be outside the vehicle. Not many of us run with the safety netting in place so whether you have ROPS, or no ROPS you're still going to be in dire straights during a rollover.

Cheers,
TJ

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » December 11th, 2019, 9:32 am

I can attest to that. In racing they did not come out with netting requirements until the end of my racing career and arm restraints came in maybe halfway through it. The arm restraints were a godsend since they kept your arms from flying outside of the cage and being smashed under it. But I had an incident that proves out what TJ is saying about things coming inside the cage, In a race I ended up rolling for whatever reason and one of the other competitors ran over me in the process. On my helmet was a very well defined skid mark from his rear tire! By the way he never let off the gas and used my head for traction! :lol: We joked about that for years. I wasn't hurt because there was a full cage and there was not enough room for the full tire to get in but enough of it got there to get my attention.
On the other side of the coin, during normal jobs I drove tow trucks and I was a on first aid squad and I got to see the real word carnage from accidents on a regular basis. In my area we used to have a lot of four wheel drive vehicles and a lot of drinking, this is back in the 70's-80's. When there were accidents involving those vehicles mostly with roll bars or cages the injuries were usually a lot less severe than the ones without the cages. Keeping in mind that most of the people were not wearing seat belts so that did not help.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » December 12th, 2019, 1:31 pm

Well, I'm overdue for saying again that I hope our member got off lightly and that he is recovering quickly.

For those who aren't familiar with the mechanics of how a towing a trailer (even a small unladen trailer) can affect an outcome, lay a pencil on a table. This is your Mutt. Now pull it by the front end. It will pull straight. This represents the stability gained by a vehicle with all wheels pulling, with good traction and generally, it even represents circumstances where only the rear wheels are driving with good traction at all four wheels where steering is doing it's job keeping that vehicle in line with the rear axle pushing.

Now try to push that same pencil across the table with your finger... from the back end. It gets squirrely straightaway. This happens to any bumper-pull trailer.

That push on the end of the pencil is representative of what a trailer does to your Mutt every time you slow down or stop. The weight of the trailer will exert lateral forces upon the rear axle that can cause it to break traction and leave its line directly behind the steering axle. The worse your traction is to begin with means that the trailer will be more effective in pushing that rear end around.

Braking at that point only serves to compound the problem because the dynamic weight shift forward on the towing vehicle only serves to unload the weight upon the rear axle, reducing traction even further and we know what that means for our little trucks.

Towing with the typical pintle type hitch even makes the problem worse because it is a loose hitch which we know is rather necessary and efficient for dealing with every-circumstance-cross-country travel but absolutely terrible for anything else

Where towing ONLY solution is to set up some kind of service brake (not solely the parking brakes that we already have). A trailer with organic brakes that tugs against the towing vehicle upon slowing or stopping will help keep everything in a nice straight line.

As always, what is best is education; to be aware, and wary, of certain sets of circumstances that can get us into trouble quickly and then do everything in our power to avoid them. Also, to be aware and wary of the limitations of our vehicles. This is not the time to lay blame upon the design. Some of the best performing vehicles in the world have very bad manners; their handling characteristics are difficult and require skilled and operators. It is our job to be that guy.

Cheers,
TJ