Harley Davidson FLSTS

This is a spot for posting those old photos of your service days, your favorite tractor, whatever...Don't be shy we all love looking at pictures! No Nekkid People though, this is a "G" rated site!

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Harley Davidson FLSTS

Unread post by m3a1 » March 25th, 2019, 11:42 am

Another mouth to feed *sigh*. It's ugly but it has got a certain je ne sais quoi !

Current plan of action? Same as always. Clean nothing. Polish NOTHING. Learn something. Make it safe and make it run well. I want this to look like an old road warrior.

Barn find.....in a really nice barn...no chickens, no cows, no hay, no straw.....

...which was a strange departure from my usual way of finding these things.

But it came with the obligatory box o' parts!

And, yes, this is one of those projects -
If-You-Can't-Afford-A-Nice-New-One-You'll-Have-To-Build-Your-Own...

What you are looking at is a collection of motorcycle parts, gathered in one place and loosely assembled to resemble a motorcycle.

She's already got a new name. Dixie Belle

Yes! The skull is already gone. I gave it a decent burial.

I absolutely love those bags. Just the right amount of droop.

Little gas leak down under, dontcha think?

Battery is dead as a door nail, naturally.

Apparently, horns migrate. Who knew?

My front fender waves at everyone that goes by... :roll:

Tired, but still standing proud.

Wires. Wires everywhere!

Home-made gas pedal at the left floor board. :shock: An idea with some merit, but poorly executed.

And so, we begin clearing the decks...

11K....on this speedometer...

New jobs often have new needs and as a result, new tools. Money well spent.

This is going to be a life-saver. I'll be taking a lot less ibuprofen. It also serves as a convenient place for your favorite beverage. :wink:

All tucked in. She's sleeping in a new bed, tonight!

rickf
General
General

Re: Harley Davidson FLSTS

Unread post by rickf » March 25th, 2019, 2:51 pm

I went through three of the HF lifts before I found one that lifted straight. Turned out it was a different part number. 69904 was the one that finally went up straight. I was not taking chances with lifting a thousand lb. bike on a tilting Chinese lift!
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » March 25th, 2019, 4:27 pm

Before I got it, I was concerned about a propensity for this to tip. I had already resigned my self to the idea of having to add removable struts on each side just to prevent any possibility of that happening, but, this lift is rock solid...provided it has a firm base to rest upon. It is also NOT the kind of thing you let the kids play on, around, or under.

Raising it and lowering it is done with separate foot pedals and it comes up quick and smooth and level. Zero warpage or deflection. There is a manual locking bar that goes all the way across and once you're all the way up, you just insert the bar and let it go down gently until it rests on the locking bar. Fully controllable when going down. A light touch on the pedal makes for a slow easy descent. Pedals simply slid. on and off. I did not find them to be in the way when working around the table.

Lots of cross bracing everywhere and I looked at every weld before I put it up. All looking good. I was fully prepared to go to work on it before I put it into use but there was simply no reason to. Grease zerks are located at critical points. Cast iron wheels in back, casters in front make it easy to move (unloaded, of course) with crank down feet at the front casters. Removable loading ramp and removable panel below the rear wheel. Well braced and supported below the table top.

My only two complaints are there are spots for four u-bolts (tie-down anchors) and they only provided two -and- I would have like to have had crank down feet at the rear as well. Any potential deflection on the rear axles can be easily prevented with a couple of thin chocks to prevent squatting.

Has that rather odd Chinese red paint that will eventually flake off and, you know me, I don't care. I'll touch it up with whatever I have on hand in a rattle can....if I touch it up at all.

Sadly, the table is not wide enough for a quad or similarly wide item. Max height - 29". Wouldn't recommend anything other than a motorcycle on this, because, as you know, the further weight gets from the centerline of the base, the more likely it would be prone to tipping, so that's out with this item. But compare with others at three and four times the cost, this is a good value, particularly when purchased on sale and with a coupon.

Comes assembled in a 330# (150kg) crate which is rather long, so bring a friend and some ratchet straps if you go buy one.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » March 25th, 2019, 5:08 pm

If both of your pedals just slide off then you got the other model. That one pumped up easier but was much flimsier than the one I ended up with. I built 12 inch wide platforms for either side so when I ride up I have somewhere to put my feet and the side stand till I get the straps on. I also drilled a couple more holes in the back and added another tie down point back there. And that front wheel holder is garbage! I am surprised you are using it, they have a much better one you cam put on there. One thing I have to do on mine is reinforce that plate in the back you ride over. There is not enough meat to that plate for a 970 lb. Gold Wing with a 210 lb. rider on it. It got a really nice bow in it on the first try.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » March 25th, 2019, 5:23 pm

Whaaaaa?!! I'm surprised you rode yours up there, expecting it to hold you and the bike! Naughty naughty! Mine is rated at 1000# but we walked the bike up on there, gently, like a lady ......and everything held nicely.

Front wheel holder is just 'okay' but yeah, if I was using this table on a regular basis I'd want something a little more sophisticated. Could just as easily have used a standard stanchion (like you'd find on a motorcycle trailer) but that would mean having to relocate the straps to pull it forward just a little bit.

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » March 25th, 2019, 6:12 pm

1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » March 25th, 2019, 9:09 pm

m3a1 wrote:Whaaaaa?!! I'm surprised you rode yours up there, expecting it to hold you and the bike! Naughty naughty! Mine is rated at 1000# but we walked the bike up on there, gently, like a lady ......and everything held nicely.

Front wheel holder is just 'okay' but yeah, if I was using this table on a regular basis I'd want something a little more sophisticated. Could just as easily have used a standard stanchion (like you'd find on a motorcycle trailer) but that would mean having to relocate the straps to pull it forward just a little bit.
You expect me alone to push a Gold Wing up the ramp on there? I know there are some that have the strength and balance to do it and I did at one time but no more.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » March 25th, 2019, 11:13 pm

That's what beer is for... to repay your friends for their assistance! :lol: