Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Re: Beverly Hillbillies, Part Deux

Unread post by m3a1 » September 19th, 2021, 12:17 pm

If it were only that easy.... :lol:

IMG_7379.jpg

I finally got the story behind this car from Frank. He bought the car in 1962, knowing it had engine trouble. He would have been right around 25 years old at the time. Now, he no longer remembers what he was going to do with it but whatever it was, it never got done. The heads were removed and they ended up in the trunk and that's as far as things progressed....if you want to call that progress.

IMG_7430.jpg

Yesterday, Bill came prepared to be behind the wheel of this monster (note the appropriate and period correct pattern in his choice of seat blanket).

IMG_7432.jpg

Cheers,
TJ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by m3a1 on September 19th, 2021, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » September 19th, 2021, 12:21 pm

Weeeeel, it does have a carburetor. Come on, Mustie could get it going! Fill the cylinders with PB and tranny fluid, slap on a set of heads and go for it. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » September 19th, 2021, 10:01 pm

Yeah, well, for those who don't know you are actually KIDDING.... I might add that I pulled the dipstick on the '49 the other day and the bottom couple of inches of it were....*ahem*....missing. No, Rick, I think I'd be better off yanking these engines and doing a point by point dissection.

Which brings to mind one of the things I'll be looking for; a vintage puller, KD Model #918 or #920, which is a flathead Ford V8 valve guide puller. Prices on eBay are astronomical.

Cheers,
TJ

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » September 19th, 2021, 10:45 pm

The spare is the best piece of the whole sedan. It's staying with me.
65379840289__AA90041A-EAA0-40E5-B1FD-15857B1FE498.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » September 20th, 2021, 11:06 pm

Today turned out to be another scorcher. But first, COFFEE! So Bill and I sat down over our cups and discussed the day's plan of attack and what we might need. The major issue we faced was an unreconciled flat tire on the right rear of a vehicle that would be loaded on someone else's trailer that needed to remain free of any damage. We made a comprehensive list of kit we might need and then, predictably, left 25% of it behind wholly by accident because....that's how we roll. 8)

After fueling up my F350 (which is not an inexpensive proposition) we toddled over to Brandon's place of business (a place that achieves a 100% on the 'Cool Scale') and hooked up to his trailer. His ramps, which looked like they were constructed of spit and tissue paper in the pics he sent me were actually fairly substantial and proved themselves worthy later on.

We arrived at Frank's place a few minutes later, lined up in front of the M37, unhooked the trailer, installed a duplex receiver extension (Harbor Freight) and re-hooked. This duplex device allows you to have a second, higher receiver tube which is something like 6" above the lower tube which holds the hitch. In this way, I was able to slide in my portable 12K winch (Ironton brand, Northern Tools & Equipment) above the hitch and was almost immediately ready to make a pull.

The winch was very capable and while I would have preferred to use a sheave and double the line over (which is the proper way of doing things) it made surprisingly short work of the first half of the M37 on a straight pull, towing it out of the sun and into the shade where the work was far more bearable. I employed duty cycles far shorter than recommended which kept the winch cool and happy and allowed us plenty of time to wipe away the perspiration and enjoy some cool water.

Now we would see how our plan would work for getting a totally ruined flat tire (which did not roll) up a ladder-type ramp, without it becoming hopelessly entangled in the openings in the ramp.

I drew the rear tires up to the ramp and jacked up the rear of the M37, unloading the lion's share of the truck's weight from the flat and we sanded the ramp rails and then laid a smallish piece of scrap plywood on and just a bit behind it. 2x4's blocked the plywood from sliding forward as I drew the truck forward and onto the plywood and the pull brought the truck off the jack (which we were expecting) and down onto the plywood.

The Eagle has landed!

After removing the 2x4s I made another pull. The sand we put down acted like thousands of tiny marbles, allowing the plywood to slide easily. I didn't think that up. That's an old wrecker driver trick. If you have any doubt about it as a useful tactic, just let me say that I have watched loaded 18 wheelers, with ALL the brakes set, get towed off on sand like they didn't weigh anything at all. It's very impressive. I brought the whole back axle to the top of the ramp and there we stopped and sanded the deck of the trailer. The sand I was using was broken down sand (extremely fine) left over from operations in my blast cabinet. You've heard me say it before. Nothing goes to waste around here.

The final pull proved we had made all the right decisions and preparations as the pull was about as anticlimactic as they come and that's saying something because even without it's powerpack, the M37 is no welterweight. We strapped the old girl down with six 3300lb WLL straps laid out in cross-strap fashion and we were back at Brandon's place in no time.

After fighting us for every inch, the old truck finally just came along quietly. I was almost sad to see her finally play nice.

IMG_7449.jpg

At Brandon's place, we found a stock-looking 1950 Ford Custom on the lot with fully updated everything. (Not a car worthy of the effort in my opinion but to each his own.) It was interesting to see what the '49 might have looked like when new. It's just not really a car with a lot of character but it was surely a real departure in styling for Ford and probably looked exceptionally modern to most folks of the time.

IMG_7453.jpg
IMG_7452.jpg

Brandon was ecstatic about his new M37 and especially excited about having the doors he so desperately needed. He was even more excited when he saw some of my recovery kit (which as I said, wasn't even all present at the time.) What did I get out of the deal? Well, the M37 wheels & tires (such as they are) can be mighty tough to come by in a pinch. They will be mine once he gets the truck torn down and who knows, maybe if I need a little job done here or there, Brandon will be there for me. He's got mad skills with metal. My expectations in that regard are not high because at the end of the day, they are running a business, not a charity. Still, one hand washes the other, and we all help each other out which is how it should be.

Coming soon - A 1949 Ford gets dismantled -and- The big black sedan becomes a roller.

Cheers,
TJ

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » September 22nd, 2021, 12:02 am

Soon copy.jpg
IMG_7245.jpg
IMG_7246.jpg

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » September 22nd, 2021, 5:39 pm

We returned to the sedan today with my newest contraption and a loooooooong extension.

IMG_7456.jpg

If our goal had been to bend steel pipe, it worked perfectly. Otherwise, the results were not favorable. :roll:

Back to the drawing board.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » September 27th, 2021, 12:29 am

Nails! They're tough! Getting this car out of the ground and out of her grave and rolling has been just as tough as nails....nay, a WHOLE KEG of nails!

Sometimes an idea is wholly legit and yet, in practice, it falls flat on its face. When you think about it, this really only means that if the idea is completely sound....maybe you're just not doing it right! Such was the case with my Break-The-Drums-Loose-From-The-Brakes contraption.

To quote Derek on Vice Grip Garage: If it's a dumb idea, but it works, is it really dumb?

After our epic fail in manually freeing the drums from their brake shoes, and rust (and whatever the hell else was going on in there) JUST DIDN'T HAPPEN, I took a little time away just to mull it over and see if I might better understand what I was up against. The design of these Ford brakes was a post-1939 style and among the VERY FIRST style of hydraulic brakes Ford used on mass-produced automobiles. They were even referred to as 'Juice Brakes' by hot-rodders who were very keen to improve their chances of living another day by upgrading their car's mechanical brakes with truly modern, effective, and hydraulic (hence the name 'juice') brakes.

What has this to do with our big black sedan? Well, those brakes (poor as they may seem by today's standards) relied upon a pretty large amount of braking surface to get the job done and it was precisely that that was hanging me up....especially the sections of the brakes that had been below ground and occasionally below water. In fact, just one properly functional and engaged brake would almost surely keep an already stopped car from rolling. Once you get your head wrapped around THAT, the idea that we could just waltz in with our long pipe and make a thoroughly rusted-welded brake break free seems pretty DARNED ridiculous, BECAUSE IT IS PRETTY DARNED RIDICULOUS.

But it was worth a try... :wink:

...and trying is what gets you across the finish line. I even bought a universal hub puller because, at that moment, it seemed like a good idea but not such a good idea after a while. (It will come in very handy later.) So, how could I reduce the braking surface area and improve my chances of getting things moving again? Well, the first thing I did was adjust the toe adjusters (those at the top of the shoes) so that they were as slack as possible. I was not so naive to believe that the shoes would actually retract away from the drum because the shoes are not attached to the eccentric lobes of the toe adjusters....i.e., the shoes would likely remain where they have been for the last 60 years. But backing off the adjusters would provide some elbow room for what was to come. The heel adjusters were most certainly rusted up solid and then there is also the business of wheel cylinders that have got to be utterly petrified. But, any port in a storm. Just doing backing off the toe adjusters felt right and that made me feel better....which is worthwhile, I suppose.

Still, I had no illusions that we might break things loose by hand. Nope. That surely wasn't going to happen. Besides, the pipe I had been using was bending despite the fact that it was very thick-walled pipe so it was going to take a LOT of energy to make this happen. How was I going to make the pipe stronger? I went out and puttered around my piles of salvaged steel and looked at stuff like a kid in a 5 & 10 cent store...and I came up with some industrial-quality jack hammer bits that some cheapskate (me) had acquired on the sly because those things are made of REALLY GOOD STEEL and are as hard as woodpecker lips.....and they just happened to fit ever-so-nicely inside my thick wall pipe. NOW we were getting somewhere because having a reinforced pipe meant we could put some real power on the pull. Namely...

HORSEPOWER!

In adherence to my policy of Nothing-Goes-To-Waste, I took several of the badly rusted, bent and abused shackles that we had recovered from the M37 and battleship-welded them; one to a section of hammer bit and another to a section of pipe. With those nested into one another and then slid into place in the square steel tubing I had attached to the old rim, we how had an anchor point for chains, top and bottom...to attach to trucks, fore and aft; Longfellow (my F350) and Occasional (Bill's half ton Dodge Ram).

Bill's truck got its name because a great many things on it only work occasionally.

Much as we had done on the M37, which had Budd rims and hand-holes to which chains could be attached, we set up our chains so that one vehicle could pull on one end whilst the other acted like an anchor.

IMG_7483.jpg

Blue tape was a witness mark that allowed us to judge if we were making actual progress. Later on when we made more energetic pulls, it would not be needed because movement was immediate, and massive.

IMG_7482.jpg

Our hammer-bits and pipe slid inside the square steel tubing from opposite ends, forming three independent layers of steel and I reckoned that having a bit more length of pipe on the pulling end might lend some mechanical advantage to the effort. There was a fly in the ointment, of course (isn't there ALWAYS?) and that was that our hammer-bits (plural) were not of a length that allowed for a single piece covering the entire length. So, there was a point where the pipe might bend if certain circumstances arose....

....which they most certainly did.

We made a pull and we bent a pipe...this time, a lot more than last time.

IMG_7484.jpg

BUT! In the doing of it, we got one hub/drum broke free and then followed that up by working the wheel by hand with another long pipe until things loosened up to an acceptable degree. In fact, we found that once the drum rotated 180 degrees and the part of the drum that had been above ground was resting on the compromised lower half of the brake shoes, it was pretty much free sailing. Ah HAH! So, the backing off of the toe adjusters HAD worked! Just working the drum back and forth and around a bit at a time resulted in quite a bit of ground up rust and dirt dribbling out of the small gap between the drum and the backing plate.

IMG_7486.jpg

The pipe was bent but I wasn't ready to cry Uncle just yet so we simply replicated the process on another hub. Alas, the metal of the pipe simply bent some more. Hooray! Break Time! (Ya gotta think positive, fellas!) So, we plucked the whole rig off the car and hustled back over to my house for another quick fabrication session and some really lovely ice-cold water, served over ice, with a side of ice and a topping of ice over that.

My fabrication amounted to simply cutting off the bent piece, which shortened the pipe (obviously) and set up our hammer-bits so as to assure they met in the middle and provided reinforcement across the full length of the thing. Friends, with that done, all the pieces literally and figuratively fell into place. We went back and proceeded to have success after success until everything was moving. As my father would have said, "Now, we're cooking on all four burners!" Yes, we had to make harder pulls and that is what it took. No more pussy-footing around. Believe me, we slapped that old keg of nails around like a rented mule to achieve that success.

But, we DID end up with four rolling wheels and the old sedan received it's nickname - NAILS.

For those of you who might find yourselves in similarly unfortunate circumstances some day, you might ask, Why two halves coming together over the the length (or should I say, width) of the wheel? Why not just one piece welded up to the wheel? Well, there are a couple of reasons, actually.

First, the shackles cannot be pulled through the square steel tubing attached to the old wheel as they are too large and IF we had put the whole thing together in a more permanent fashion, if we ended up bending something while we were learning how to use the idea to its maximum potential, we would have to cut everything off just to start all over again. Remember, I came up with the design (such as it was) but, I didn't actually know how to use it...so there was a learning process at work here.

The second reason was that once the drum had broken free, the square steel tubing on the wheel, which began nearly vertical, was now essentially horizontal and as you might have already guessed, the opposing inserts can indeed pull free from the square steel tubing. This allows for a margin of error in the pull (the pull is short and very energetic) that prevents the car from being pulled off the wood blocks it is resting on and/or damaging the sedan in some other fashion because the bits with the shackles pull away before anyone is killed. They don't fly out. They just sort of drop to the ground and the pull is terminated before the driver even knows it.

The third reason is, we were finishing off each break-free effort by hand and that meant pulling the shackled pieces out of the square steel tubing and inserting a long pipe for manual use.

So, I made some educated guesses (not all of which proved to be correct) but most were pretty close to being spot on and the system worked well once we had the confidence that comes with experience.

One of the things I didn't mention was the importance of having the chains and the vehicles lined up in as straight a line as possible from one another. It was sometimes frustrating getting this set up but it ensured the maximum amount of power was achieved per pull. Try to take a stuck lid off a jar of jam with your wrist bent vs. lined up nicely and you'll see how this works in practice. With everything properly in line, it works like gangbusters.

Once everything was freed up, we celebrated. We hooked up a chain to the car and with Longfellow providing the necessary motivation, we paraded it around Frank's place like a couple of droogs. Bill and I both took a turn behind that ridiculously large steering wheel (Frank declined) and we listened for any sounds that indicated the wheels were about to come off. We dribbled the rusty contents of the drums as we went. When Bill came to a stop on my final 'drive' around the place, the chain went slack and the car simply rolled back (slightly downhill) until stopped by the chain which was evidence enough that she was ready to roll.

ROLLER ACHIEVEMENT BADGE, AWARDED!

Frank was looking very pleased with us but I thought I detected that he was a little bit sad to see the old girl go. We had reached that benchmark where the writing was on the wall. Nails was definitely going to a new home. Frank said he might have something for me and excused himself. When he returned, he handed me the original (and ancient) title with several years worth of registrations stapled to it. :shock: WOW.

Thank you, Frank!
Last edited by m3a1 on September 27th, 2021, 11:18 am, edited 8 times in total.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » September 27th, 2021, 12:48 am

Nails came home on my tow dolly, riding slowly and stately through our little town. She had been in poor shape when she was retired and now, poorer still...but, despite all that she was, once again, rolling down the road for everyone to see.

Bill and I stopped at a local restaurant called The Hungry Horse for the mandatory Celebratory Dinner (my treat, of course). The other diners just gawked. Two filthy individuals just drove up pulling a car with a tree growing out of it! With an appetizer of sweet, sweet success, our dinner was exceptional.

IMG_7487.jpg

On THIS DAY, the death sentence Nails had received some 60 years ago had been lifted...fully, and completely. Frank had watched us curse and sweat and lord over her for many days and finally, bend her to our will. Now satisfied, Frank passed the torch of ownership over to me.

I'm confident there are more strange adventures yet to be had by Nails. I'm not sure what they are but the car has a presence that is inescapable and I'm sure that will lead to good things.

IMG_7488.jpg

Cheers,
TJ

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » September 28th, 2021, 12:06 am

Well, we ended up blowing out one of the roller tires three blocks from home. It was the right front and it was up on the tow dolly so it didn't matter a great deal. I'm still wondering how it happened. It was one of my best roller tires and it had a brand new tube. I have some suspicions that a certain person with a 12v air compressor was involved... So, I spent the morning hunting for a used replacement tire which, naturally, took us back to Frank's place and, YUP, he had a halfway decent 15"-er that we could have. Good ol' Frank!

So, with only three wheels, the 47 Ford sedan is laid up at the moment. Hopefully I'll have the fourth one back by the end of the day tomorrow.

While the right front drum was sans tire and wheel, I decided to give the thing a spin, just out of curiosity...and it's still crapping out rust particles, poor thing. Of course, the front tires just sat on the tow dolly so I suppose that is to be expected. I might also mention that the front bearings are also badly in need of a repack so maybe I'll just pull the front drums off so we can all see exactly how bad things got over the course of the last 60 years. Then, I'll repack the bearings as a sort of crazy surprise for the next fellow who will be left scratching his head trying to figure that out. :lol:

Since Bill had to go to NAPA to buy some snake oil for Occasional, I tagged along in the hope that I might score some lug nuts to replace the ones that had gone missing on the sedan over the years. Auto Zone couldn't help. (Why am I not surprised?) NAPA could, but they charged me $2.69 cents per lug nut. No, REALLY! They did.

I looked Counterman Steve right in the eye as I handed my money over and, in my best 'Old Guy' fashion, told him I was very happy they would, once again, be able to pay this month's rent. On the way out, I passed a fridge full of sodas and since I still had some loose change (despite the fleecing I had just taken) I paused and asked how much they were. Counterman Steve said, "Go ahead and help yourself." Yeah. I think I will do just that. My mouth is dry after being bent over the cash register like that. :roll:

Today was supposed to be a rest day but by evening I got tired of staring into the YouTube abyss. The sun was setting and the temperature was dropping a little bit. Cooper and I decided to go out and poke around the old car just a while. Cooper seemed disinterested in the car, which was a testament to the level of cleanliness we bestowed upon the interior, and he refocused his doggy energies on the growth along the fence-line and whatever was living in it.

I began with the rusty and recalcitrant hood hinges, one of which was broke. Folks simply don't understand that there is almost always a drop of oil to be had in an engine bay (at the end of a dipstick). Just a tiny drop of oil on those pivot points now and then would make all the difference and the darned things would last forever.

Instead of lasting forever, one of the legs of the hinge mechanism rusted tight and in its reluctance to move, it eventually broke the mounting tab off the hood. Now, that long hood just gets all cattywampus when it comes time to move it any whichaway. But, since the hood will eventually have to come off altogether for the removal of the engine, I'll just straighten the tab and weld it back on when the hood comes off. Easy peasy. I did take the offending piece off, gave it a quick tidy up, replaced an old bolt with a better old bolt from the bin and set it aside for the time being.

Why bother with any of this at all? Well, I think Nails has earned at least a little loving after surviving every indignity thrown at her for almost three quarters of a century.

I'm also going to claim the old 6V battery as a trophy. It most certainly is dead as a doornail but that isn't the point. Its look is totally 'old school' and it would be a shame to toss it. Naturally, the post clamps are completely FUBAR, along with the tie-down posts so, there will be some finagling to do to get it out without leaving the engine bay looking like Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I'll do it as gently as possible, of course.

Coming soon! The 49 gets some REALLY rough treatment!

Cheers,
TJ

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » September 28th, 2021, 10:50 pm

We finally have a sponsor! :lol:

IMG_7502.jpg

I asked Bill if he ever visualized our taking the sedan as far as we have. He responded honestly and said that he did not but allowed that he has seen me pull more rabbits out of my hat over the last 30 years than Penn and Teller combined. Most of my associates thought I was nuts and weren't shy about telling me so. Now look at what we have. Something far and away different from that awful mess that was sunk into the earth not long ago. Now it's a mobile awful mess :P and not nearly so daunting. Oh boy would I love to put the original wheels back on it (with tires and tubes that actually hold air...and hubcaps...and beauty rings.

IMG_7498.jpg

We took the show on the road again today and landed at Frank's place with fuel, bar oil, and a chain saw. I forgot my gloves (naturally) and would come to regret that. Our mission? Clean out the overhang on Frank's lane and widen it at key points in order to allow him to drive his recently revived WC54 in and out without difficulty or risk of harm to the truck. The road beckons, Frank! Have at it!

Mostly, I was perfectly okay without the gloves but the wait-a-minute vines were prolific and some were almost sapling-sized at their base. I went to make a low sweep through them with the chainsaw which, unfortunately, got them spinning like a acrobatic performer on a rope in a circus which had the effect of them doing an Indiana Jones on my hand. They whipped me about a thousand times a second with those thorns....with predictable results. My hand got tenderized like cube steak but, I kept at it.

69379534 copy.jpg

BLAIN ACHIEVEMENT BADGE - AWARDED!

Frank's overgrown lane was now looking like the autobahn and wide enough that even the captain of the Costa Concordia could navigate it without capsizing. ?Qualcuno vorrebbe condividere un'altra bottiglia di calvados?

download-2.jpg

As a bonus, we discovered we now had a better angle on pulling the 49 out of it's grave and through the trees. It will take some additional effort because there is a lot of junk in the way but most of it is small stuff...and a few more trees to be cut... but no wait-a-minute vines. :roll: It will be time consuming, but not too terribly hard. I am SO looking forward to doing the 49, chiefly because there is so little to actually save which means the death wheel and the sawzall will be our primary weapons of choice. Sounds like fun to me!

5303338a7e262e9c4d4c9ecd9514849a.jpg

We wrapped things up early and checking my phone for incoming, found that my 'new' roller tire was ready and holding air nicely with a brand new tube. Suh-WEET! So, we gathered that up on the way home and I had that on the car DIRECTLY! Woo HOO! (Dadism - NOW we're cooking on all four burners!) Uh, I think the word you're looking for is T-I-R-E-S, Dad.

I put on all the original lug nuts and then eyeballed my million dollar James Avery Jewelry lug nuts. They were too pretty to go on the car.

DANG IT!

So I got some fugly ones off some jeep axles I have squirreled away (I should have done that in the first place and saved the money). I cleaned them up a bit and now they're on a 47 Ford and looking pretty stylish, even if I do have to say so myself.

Coming soon, the sedan gets a bird house. A BIRD house? Whaaaaaaaat?!!

There's always something goin' on at the Beverly HIllbillies.

Cheers,
TJ

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » September 29th, 2021, 11:29 pm

Well, I promised you a bird house. Here it is. Maybe this is a few too many pics (considering the subject) but since it's so deliciously wonky, here goes nuthin.

IMG_7503.jpg

By the way, you won't see this kinda nonsense ANYWHERE ELSE. (Thank the heavens!)

IMG_7504.jpg
IMG_7508.jpg
IMG_7509.jpg

We paid a little visit to Nails after dark and found a new tenant had already moved in, which is cool....if you like spiders.

IMG_7520.jpg

More artsy-fartsy photos to come...

Cheers,
TJ
Last edited by m3a1 on September 30th, 2021, 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mark
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mark » September 29th, 2021, 11:58 pm

Very original!!
mark

1968 m274A5
1960 m151
1981 m151A2
1964 m416
1971 m416

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » September 30th, 2021, 12:03 am

MIDNIGHT AUTO PARTS
"Parts SO CHEAP you might think they're stolen!"

IMG_7518.jpg

After our evening coffee Bill and I decided to visit Nails and remove her old battery which I thought I might like to keep. The battery post clamps were totally frozen and I wasn't in the mood to just cut things up so the battery cables had to be disconnected from the car, rather than the battery. As it turned out, the ground strap was bolted to the firewall on a blind bolt, making it a one man job, rather than two. Bill jumped right in.

IMG_7510.jpg

The battery turned out to be a Fed Mart branded battery. Pretty cool old battery if you ask me. Fed Mart was a 'membership store' and you can find out a little bit about it on wikipedia if you're interested. Being largely West Coast, they expanded and opened a store in San Antonio in 1955. This particular car was parked (presumably forever) in 1961-62. Thus, this particular battery was produced sometime between those two dates.

IMG_7513.jpg

Despite the rather dilapidated look of the engine, I thought this was a nice shot because it reminded me of my father's buddy (and our family's auto mechanic), Don Suriano. More to the point, it reminded me of Don's shop. After hours, Don would drop the doors and shut off the lights to keep away any late night requests for automotive repairs. Sometimes he might come back after dinner in order to knock out a few jobs without being disturbed. But all the cars being worked on always had a trouble light ablaze under the hood in the darkness of the shop, whether he was there, working late, or not there at all. (This is how sole proprietors train their customers, by the way.) After hours, no one answers the door no matter how much you knock, even if there are lights on.

Friday nights were evenings just for the fellas and as I recall, it was just about the only regular social occasion my father attended, he being the municipal judge, had to protect his impartiality. He was always concerned about getting too tight with any one group or another in our small town just in case someone wanted to claim favoritism and suggest (wrongly) that he wasn't impartial. Some things never change. In any case, that gathering always took place at Don's shop. Dad's law office was in the same building as Don's auto shop and he regularly put in some hours after dinner as well so it was no accident that Dad would take up one evening a week with Don and Pete and the occasional guest to discuss the state of the union.

IMG_7515.jpg

Cheers,
TJ
Last edited by m3a1 on October 2nd, 2021, 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » September 30th, 2021, 12:21 am

Mark wrote:
September 29th, 2021, 11:58 pm
Very original!!
You like that, do ya? :lol: