Beverly Hillbillies

Vehicles and items that do not fall into the general M151 categories

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

acudanut

Re: Beverly Hillbillies

Unread post by acudanut » July 18th, 2019, 9:50 pm

You should have sold it to some people south of the border. lol
Last edited by acudanut on July 24th, 2019, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » July 18th, 2019, 11:26 pm

Well. I have no real complaint about the tubes (which hold air far longer now that the camper is gone) but the tires...well...pieces be fallin' off of em. Pieces falling off are a concept anyone who has ridden in a helicopter can tell you 'is bad'....

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » July 19th, 2019, 10:13 am

True, I crashed twice in the same day! I can attest to pieces falling off is bad. BUT, We ALL walked away both times thanks to EXCELLENT pilots. The side gunner broke his collarbone on his chicken plate on the second "landing" but all things considered they were good landings. The first was a failed engine and the second was a broken tail rotor. Both at just under 1000 feet which chopper pilots will tell you is not high enough to autorotate. Nobody told these pilots that! We walked the 12 cliks to the base after the second one after guarding the craft till the recovery unit got there. There was not going to be a third time charm!
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » July 24th, 2019, 2:07 pm

IMO "Auto Rotate" only works 25 percent of the time. I have seen too many deadly helicopter crashes. I am scared shitless when I am on one.
We just lost a Country Music Star "Troy Gentry" of the group Montgomery Gentry to yet another helicopter crash. That group was awesome together.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » July 24th, 2019, 4:30 pm

That crash was only a few miles from my house at an airport I flew out of many times. The crash was mainly due to pilot error. He was told by those on the ground, including the FAA inspector how to handle the situation, He chose to ignore the advise of all of those with much more experience than he had even though he was "supposed" to be a flight instructor.
There was an FAA inspector at the airport at the time doing an inspection on something unrelated and he watched the whole thing unfold.. Here is the FAA report. Do not blame the aircraft for human mistakes.

The September 8, 2017, helicopter crash that claimed the life of well-known country western music star Troy Gentry, half of the band known as Montgomery Gentry, and that of the pilot was caused by a basic airmanship error by the pilot and a mechanical error by the shop that had recently serviced the aircraft. The Schweizer 269C is a small, two-seat model powered by a 190-hp four-cylinder Lycoming piston engine. The flight that afternoon was a spur of the moment chance for Gentry to get a bird’s eye view of the airport, where the band was to perform a concert later that evening.
Shortly after takeoff, the pilot of the Schweizer radioed that the throttle was unresponsive to his inputs, the NTSB said in its report. Despite being advised over the radio by experienced instructors on the ground, including an FAA-designated helicopter examiner, that he should perform a running landing instead of the other option, an autorotation, the pilot chose to cut the power and autorotate. An autorotation is a common maneuver practiced repeatedly in training in which the power is cut (or simulated being cut). The helicopter then comes down with the blades continue to turn under the power of the air rising through them as it descends. Only, that’s not how it worked in this case.

The instructors on the ground advised the pilot, when he opted against their advice to do the autorotation, to not start the maneuver until he was over the runway. Instead, for reasons unknown, the pilot began the maneuver over a wooded area, according to the NTSB, between a quarter and a half mile away from the runway at less than a thousand feet agl. The result, the report found, was that the helicopter began to come down short of the runway into the wooded area and the pilot attempted to “extend the helicopter’s glide by increasing collective pitch, an action that resulted in a decay of rotor rpm and an uncontrolled descent.”

In its report the NTSB found that the probable cause(s) of the accident were:

The pilot's early entry into and failure to maintain rotor rpm during a forced landing autorotation after performing an engine shutdown in flight, which resulted in an uncontrolled descent. Contributing to the accident was the failure of maintenance personnel to properly rig the throttle control tie-rod assembly, which resulted in an in-flight separation of the assembly and rendered control of engine rpm impossible.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 2nd, 2019, 12:01 am

Well, I've pulled all the rotten tires off and installed all the 9x20s I had laying around. I'm rather sure this truck was supposed to have 8.25x20s judging by the rather full wheel houses up front and the tall stance. The 9x20s are certainly contradictory to the "low profile" program idea that was then Ford's conceptualization for modern military vehicles (of which Ford's Pygmy was a part) and if you take the time to study the Pygmy and the Burma Ford side by side, the similarities are very obvious.

Along the way, I came to find out that overload springs in the rear are probably not original to the vehicle (but they may be of some use in whatever future direction I take this truck in) so, for now, they stay on. All the studs, stud caps and lug nuts cleaned up reasonably well or were replaced as necessary, not because this is going to be rolling any time soon but because it is a step that can be checked off the long list of Things To Do. So this truck will sit and sit and sit some more but now it can roll on tires that are reasonably round and still made of a rubber.

Cheers,
TJ

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 2nd, 2019, 9:37 am

No pictures? Your slipping!
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 2nd, 2019, 4:30 pm

Not slipping. Overtasked. Have a sick 6x6 and wrapping up many other loose ends around here.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 2nd, 2019, 8:13 pm

...but since you asked so sweetly...

Note the addition of the little lights which are completely trashed, painted over and useless. But, they're filling holes where there are supposed to be little lights. Almost better than nothing!

Oh, and I can read the original hood numbers! Woo HOO!
Last edited by m3a1 on August 2nd, 2019, 8:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 2nd, 2019, 8:30 pm

Alibis - -

Portable air compressor died and became a portable air tank with wheels. Replumbed and ready for action.

This thing has been sitting around the work space, apart, for oh...about 5-6 years. :roll: C&L Zahn Mfg, Louisville, Kentucky for those of you who are curious. The purge to make room for the GTB finally forced my hand. I used steel instead of wood to create the vertical column and that will be the last time that ever has to be replaced. Today I almost finished getting it back together. A few little things yet to do. Don't much care if it works (it will) but want it to be presentable for the front porch.

Later, I will come to regret not getting the router out and finishing the edges of this top piece of wood. It was a booger to assemble this top section and I just cannot bring myself to have to do it twice. But I know it's going to bother me forever.

Wow. It's been a long time since this was together.

And perhaps the most important thing which is to get a clean fuel system back into the 6x6 (which has my half track parked in :evil: ). Took the tank out today and it's a horror story inside.

So, there are many things going on around here and not all are automotive in nature.

Cheers,
TJ
Last edited by m3a1 on April 21st, 2020, 12:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » August 3rd, 2019, 11:07 pm

WOW, you must own some land. Lots of projects and room . !! I love it.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 4th, 2019, 10:28 am

And I KNEW as soon as he started getting into the old stuff he would get side tracked and start another project instead of throwing stuff out. :twisted: :twisted:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 4th, 2019, 7:27 pm

Tut tut.... I'll have you know I rented a huge dumpster and FILLED IT with stuff I had laying around. I"m betting you could hear the flushing sound all the way up to New Jersey....and I am not starting anything new. I'm wrapping up OLD projects. So there...
:lol:

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » August 5th, 2019, 1:55 pm

What's with the old scale ?

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 5th, 2019, 5:23 pm

The old scale is just the happy result of my clearing the decks for the GTB. The parts of it that are black were sandblasted many moons ago, painted and then hung forever in the area where I am conducting the purge and one of the reasons I'm having to give this place a flushing is because I am so often overtasked and I don't get back to stuff as I should.

So, the best course of action seemed to be to put this scale back together and be done with it, especially since I happened to have come across the perfect square steel tubing for the pedestal. As we all know, taking something completely apart means that it takes up at least three times the space of the assembled product and then you have to keep track of the parts! So, I'm making space by putting it together.

I desperately need the space and that means getting some odds and ends done even though they have nothing directly to do with MUTTS or GPWs, or GTBs, or 6x6s, or half tracks.

This morning I prepared my hangar queen GPW for final disassembly. Engine/trans/transfer case is all ready to come out. Suspension is nearly ready to come off. Then finally the steering box (which is horrifyingly bad).

Baby steps.. Lots and lots of baby steps. But I'm headed in the right direction.