A-2 on Ebay (Unreal)

Got something you don't need? Sell it here

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Cobra5
Colonel
Colonel

A-2 on Ebay (Unreal)

Unread post by Cobra5 » March 7th, 2008, 11:26 pm

You guys have to check this out. The title got my interest until I seen the pictures. Museum peice my ass. This vehicle was built under the same contract as mine and its serial number is before mine. Hey I guess mine is a 79 as well :lol: Check out the double hood numbers. Starting bid is 18K and there's no reserve, imagine that.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/M151A2-1 ... 0231158007

Horst
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Horst » March 8th, 2008, 5:44 am

Looks to me like a real thing.

I would say that is a Barstow Mutt. Similar condition like the ones I have seen. When I got mine, it was one of the last ones out of a batch of 150 trucks. There were about 15 left, all in a slightly worse condition like this one. I heard that in the US only museum were allowed to get Barstow units.

Body is typically rust free, however it is not just adding gas and batteries. Rubber parts and steering wheel are typically cracked, tyres are dry rotted. Sand is everywhere. Unscrew any screw and sand will come out of the threads. Mine did overheat and the transmission was rusted beyond repair. Mine had 80 miles when I got it. But it was one of the best buys I did so far !
Hood number is very high so I also believe the date manufactured. Actually most of the Barstow units sold were very late manufacturing date, the one I got, a 72, was one of the fewer earlier ones, AMG, but still not the emission type.

Here in Europe, as there is no more supply of depot USMC 151s, the price has gone up slightly, I would say up to 10.000€ or more, that's 15k $ or more. Having said that, 18k would be too expensive over here.
Horst

1972 USMC M151A2 w/ROPS (ex Barstow) and M416
1962 M201 and trailer
1966 GTO,1982 E350 Skoolie, 1987 SJ413, 1987 911
Gone: 2xM35A2c, Unimog 404S, Hanomag AL28, DKW Munga

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » March 8th, 2008, 11:15 am

Think about it, Would you start up an engine that had the dipstick and fill cap sealed without checking the oil?!! I don't buy the story either, two many numbers on it and what is the min press. on the bumper? No figure to go with it either. Heck, I have a guage assy. that has 9 miles on it and another with 30 on it. :roll: The company I work for bought two CUCV's that came out of storage in Germany and nothing was sealed. They were brand new trucks with less than 100 miles each.
Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Horst
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Horst » March 8th, 2008, 12:45 pm

Well, first of all, everybody who buys a car unseen over the Internet must be ready for bad surprises.

I just wanted to say that everything looks real to me, the Barstow MUTTs I had checked out all looked similar to this one. Min pres. means in my opinion minium preservation, so the period until that truck should be still good for service. Only thing I am missing are the stickers, some had them on the grill, some had them on the dash. But the dash one is actually not a sticker, rather printed to the dash and even in real life hard so see.

Those trucks were sitting in the open desert, only thing covered in tape where the items shown on this one too. It is a metallic tape. As you can see, everything is covered in sand. Markings on the bumper are also similar to what I saw. All the grease zerks should have a plastic plug on them.
The hood number is typically painted over with flat black rattle can job, why this one has the number then again stenciled on it I don't know.

The potential buyer should be prepared for a clogged radiator and engine block, cracked rubber, clogged brake system and rusted brake cylinders (yes, even or especially with silicon brake fluid) and a rusted transmission. These were the main things to cover on mine and also similar problems were reported from other depot 151s.

On the plus side you get a rust free body, perfectly quiet differentials, prop and drive shafts, tight steering, like new brakes (except cylinders) and important, no civilian mods at all.
Horst

1962 M201 and trailer

Spike
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Spike » March 8th, 2008, 1:35 pm

For what it costs and what you would have to do to it...wow. That's a lot of dough.

Everything on that A2 that could deteriorate is likely deteriorated. Brake lines, seals, belts, hoses, gaskets. The radiator would be doubtful. The engine, differentials and tranny are big question marks. Sand everywhere. The paint looks terrible. Don't get me wrong I'd love to own it, but it needs a lot of work. I'd bet dollars to dimes that the entire braking system needs replacement. I know, I know everyone is a critic.
As iron sharpens iron ...

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » March 8th, 2008, 2:14 pm

For a similar amount of money, one of the vendors, don't quite remember who, had a "new" M151A2 for sale about a year ago. He had found an NOS body tub and put all NOS parts on it from engine to transmission to differential, to radiator, etc. And it didn't need anything cleaned up or replaced or anything. Considering what I have in work and time in mine, I wish I had sold mine before restoration and bought it.

Raymond
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

Joe
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Joe » March 8th, 2008, 2:36 pm

It looks to me that it came from Barstow since it's similar to all the pics that were taken of units in storage there. Rick, I thought the same thing about the sealed dipstick and oil cap comment, I do hope that someone checked all the fluid levels before starting the engine. And did anyone notice the broken windshield?? or is it my vision. With the work outlined by Horst, it's going to be a very nice rig for someone. The museum comment could be true since that's the only way a Barstow Mutt could remain stateside. When these were being exported years ago, I did some investigation into purchasing one for a museum in the Washington, DC area and it was do-able IF the museum wanted to purchase it for display. This museum, however, was still in its infancy (just being created) and wanted to use it for on-the-road advertising rather than a static display, so the purchase never got very far along before all the units were exported.

Another batch of 151's were exported from the Albany, Georgia Marine base at about the same time but I don't believe the problem of blowing sand is quite the same as in CA. It's also been said that another 300 units are still in storage there but will be exported only to a foreign country that is willing to purchase them before they leave US soil, unlike the last time these things were exported. And that very thing happened to 116 (NOS) M998's that were exported to Morocco last year from Albany, so the precedence has been set. Too bad!!!

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » March 8th, 2008, 3:45 pm

I think that once the current auctions of 2 1/2 ton and 5 ton trucks are sold off you will no longer see surplus vehicles. Any one remember the old engines that had total loss oiling systems? You are seeing total loss vehicles now. Total waste of money.
Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Cobra5
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Cobra5 » March 8th, 2008, 11:34 pm

Are you guys seriously thinking this is a Barstow Mutt?? Interesting because as I stated before my USMC A-2 was built under the same contract number and my serial number is higher. My front bumper also has the min press markings and I have found markings on the left side but not like what is on this one. Could it be possible mine was a Barstow mutt because it did have the USMC markings and was solid green. Mine is a former USN vehicle with a wierd sand camo paint job. The markings indicate it came out of a naval unit in southern California. So mine could have been sitting at Barstow awaiting its fait when the USN requested a vehicle and was given this one. This is my theory but I have no proof unless I can find a Barstow inventory sheet with serial numbers. My A-2 only has 4,296 miles. So anyone want to give me $17,999 for mine? :wink:

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » March 9th, 2008, 2:28 am

m-11 wrote: So anyone want to give me $17,999 for mine? :wink:
I'll give you $17.99 for it :!: :P :shock: :roll: :lol:
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

Horst
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Horst » March 9th, 2008, 6:01 am

Best proof would be finding those two indications on the dash, where the grab handle is. Sorry, hard to see, but that's really what is left after so many years in the sun.

As said, I had the chance to see about 15 or so 151s out of the Barstow batch. Some of them had a really ugly paint job. Camo was applied with a thick brush. Mine, like many others, has just the oulines for the camo done. some of them had black engines, some of them green engines BTW. When I finally had picked-up my MUTT at that dealer now 4 years ago, the last one left was in UN white, that was the least one sought after...

This his how mine looked like 4 years ago still at the dealership. 76 miles, but far from just add gas.

Horst

1962 M201 and trailer

Cobra5
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Cobra5 » March 9th, 2008, 3:58 pm

Horst,

I don't see any evidence of stickers like those on my dash. However mine was painted a desert camo and they painted everything. I'll be extra careful sanding the paint off the dash to see if I can find something. I do have a blank spot in the area below the grab handle. Here's the link: http://g838.org/viewtopic.php?p=920&highlight=#920

Tim

Miltrans
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by Miltrans » March 11th, 2008, 10:49 am

HI.
Just thought you'd like to see how they were shipped.
I too got 5 of these, and the 4 were just like the one Horst has sent photos of. Looks like we got them from the same guy.

Chris.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jay Mallari
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread post by Jay Mallari » March 11th, 2008, 12:31 pm

That has to be one of the nicest pics of Barstow mutts I have ever seen.
Thanks for posting it Chris.

Jay

Cobra5
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Cobra5 » March 11th, 2008, 1:05 pm

Chris,

Did any of your vehicles have the sticker on the dash that Horst is showing in his photos. What years were the vehicle you bought?

Tim