head gasket

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

mallard
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: head gasket

Unread post by mallard » September 7th, 2014, 11:46 pm

Thanks agian for the help and not getting frustrated with me on this. I'm still fairly young (27) and still learning alot and figuring this out. is this the correct position #1 compression stroke or just a chunk out of the sheave? I looked in the -20 and -34 but all i could find was adjusting the valves with the motor running but i assume i have to get close before this. if not what is the correct position. sorry for all of the questions and have a good week.

1965 M151A1

Horst
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Horst » September 8th, 2014, 3:36 am

That is the timing mark for setting the ignition timing.

Concerning the valves and doing the intial setting. Don't worry about the mark, just turn the crank so that you can positively see that the valve you want to adjust is fully closed and the rocker moves freely. Then set the clearance and move on the the next valve. As easy as that.

When it comes to adjusting the valves with the engine running, I would recommend the folllowing. I know that the book says adjusting the rocker while the engine is running. I would not do it. Check the adjustment with the engine running, you will immediately get a feeling when inserting the feeler gauge if the valve is too tight or too lose. But then turn off the engine, turn the adjuster in the correct direction, start engine and check with feeler again. In my opinion much easier to do than trying to adjust when the engine runs, yes possible but why?
After you have adjusted everything, have the engine running and just listen to the valve train. You want some ticking, but no loud valve noise. If there is still some, insert the feeler and see if it disappears. If yes, that specific valve probably needs just a little more tightening.

Put some towels around the engine, there will be not a lot of oil coming out, but some fine spray from the moving rockers and valves.
Horst

1972 USMC M151A2 w/ROPS (ex Barstow) and M416
1962 M201 and trailer
1966 GTO,1982 E350 Skoolie, 1987 SJ413, 1987 911
Gone: 2xM35A2c, Unimog 404S, Hanomag AL28, DKW Munga

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » September 8th, 2014, 6:53 am

Yes that is the timing mark and yes you can use it to set the valves. To make it easy take a strait edge and go across the front of the pulley and make a mark on the opposite side from that one. Then when you start at number one you can just turn the engine by hand (plugs out makes this easy) until you hit the mark on the other side, one half turn. Just make sure that number one is on the compression stroke when you start, both valves/lifters will be down, not rocking with one on the way up and one on the way down. As you turn the motor over you will see what I am talking about. Like Horst said, the valves can be set without running the motor. I have arthritis in my hands and it is just to painful to do it that way anymore and I have no problems doing it not running. What you will want to do though is get them set so it will run and then let it warm up and then reset them since they are supposed to be set warm.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

mallard
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by mallard » September 8th, 2014, 10:28 am

Thank you both for the help and it makes sense now what you are saying, I will try and get this set tonight and then finally be done with the engine side!!!
1965 M151A1

whiterabbit
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Unread post by whiterabbit » September 8th, 2014, 11:41 am

Don't forget to put a dab of white paint on the pulley mark. That mark is a pain to see with the timing light without it! :wink:
"It’s the unconquerable soul of man, not the nature of the weapon he uses, that insures victory." Gen. George Patton

1986-2014 Ordnance Corps RETIRED!
XVIII Airborne Corps Combat Affiliation
Go Ordnance!
1972 M151A2
1978 exMOD 109 Land Rover S3 (sold)
1942 WLA
M274 (sold) Big mistake. Sigh....

mallard
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by mallard » September 8th, 2014, 8:36 pm

thanks for all of the help, I got home tonight and in 10 min had the valves set. it all made sense after looking at it and thinking about everything you said. so now I'll put in a new set of plugs and put put everything back on. I'm going to go ahead and put on a new set of belts, the old ones were getting chewed up pretty good so its time. my old belts were cherping before i took everything apart, is there a better way to clean the sheaves than just spinning them and using a wire brush to get the old belt dressing off? Thanks again for all of the help, now i'm moving on to step 2!!! have a good evening.
1965 M151A1