This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

gospo
Corporal
Corporal

Re: fuel/oil safty switch connection

Unread post by gospo » October 30th, 2016, 8:05 am

Ok Guys...
mechanical fuel pump cut off, and fuel pipes goes straight from electric pump in the tank to the carburator.
Oil was black and dirty - changed for new one, a;so tehre was 1 litre not enough.

I went for a short trip again, and this same situation. After 7,8 km engine stoped becouse of turning off the electric pump.I did by-pass in the safety switch conector to go back home - and nothing!I waited so engine and presure can calm down, put conector on safety switch and always it worked - nothing stil.No hearing from pump.Pump is dead..
So is it a coincidence that pump independently just finished its life or...???Is there any fuse to the pump?
Now I have to buy another pump to put in a tank (firstly I'll check if it works for a short conection)
HELP PLEASE!:(

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » October 30th, 2016, 11:19 am

Ok, It is odd for a pump to go out like that but anything is possible. You have a couple of options here. Since you already have lines that will reach the mechanical pump location and you already have the mechanical pump and not the vacuum pump you can just replace the mechanical pump with a new one and unplug the electrical connector for the electric pump on the tank and tape it up. Your other option is to replace the electric pump but they are hard to find and pricey. The third option is to remove the electric pump and see if there is anything obvious that is shorting out or coming loose, I do not suggest this unless you are familiar with this type of work.

You can put a new mechanical pump on there and leave the dead electric pump in the tank, it will not affect the fuel flow unless one of the valves in the electric pump in clogged and since it does work off and on the valves are working. When you say the pump does not work even with the safety switch bypassed are you absolutely sure there is power to the pump and that there is a good ground from the tank to the body? I mean by that have you checked all this with a meter? If there is power to the pump and a good ground and it is not making noise then it is dead. For the ground I always take a jumper cable and attach one end to the tank and the other end to the negative battery terminal. Be sure it is the negative terminal that also goes to the body. This way you know for sure the tank is grounded. If you take that cable off while the pump is running and it slows down then the ground from the tank to body is not good. Where the tank is attached to the body clean a spot bare for a good connection.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

gospo
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by gospo » November 11th, 2016, 11:26 am

Guys, my Mutt looks to work! :D
First of all, I would like to thanks MutGuru and RickF for a patience and good advices!
There are photos from todays treep :)
So what was wrond:
- I eliminate mechanical pump
- changed oil for new
- I bought new (NOS)electrical pump in Germany - it was difficult but I manage to buy it - wasn't cheap but original!
It seems that my old pump was in my car from beginning and it tended to hang up.

I also bought new coil, new fuel safety switch. Also cable from the pump was old and there was no 24 v - I changed it and now it has a good parameters.
Conector from safety switch also had to be changed.

I made a 12 km treep and nothing happen;) Mutt was going very well.I hope that everything will be ok.On thursday I have a larger route so hope to be a good exam for my work:)
Thanks again
Regards
Mark

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » November 11th, 2016, 4:13 pm

Gospo / Mark..... that is great news :D Now go out and have fun in your Mutt. And not too fast around corners !
ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » November 11th, 2016, 4:51 pm

Good to hear, And you say the wire to the pump was bad so is it possible that the pump was not bad and it was the wire that may have ben causing the problem? You may want to be sure before throwing out the old pump.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone