Fording Valve?

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Cobra5
Colonel
Colonel

Fording Valve?

Unread post by Cobra5 » May 10th, 2009, 11:32 am

Can someone tell me if the vacumn line coming out of the back of this valve and going to the electric wiper motor is required? I had to replace my fording valve due to it breaking off in the manifold when I was disassembling my engine. Anyway, I bought a fording kit and the valve that came with it doesn't have this hole drilled into it. The old valve has the hole and a lne runs from it through the firewall and connects at the electric wiper motor. Why????

Horst
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Fording Valve?

Unread post by Horst » May 10th, 2009, 1:02 pm

Two version seem to exist. My fording valve has no connection to the wiper motor either and the wiper motor no means of connecting anything. Maybe a later version has this improved functionality
Horst

1972 USMC M151A2 w/ROPS (ex Barstow) and M416
1962 M201 and trailer
1966 GTO,1982 E350 Skoolie, 1987 SJ413, 1987 911
Gone: 2xM35A2c, Unimog 404S, Hanomag AL28, DKW Munga

gpready
usmc cwo3
usmc cwo3

Unread post by gpready » May 10th, 2009, 8:59 pm

I’m curious to this question too…So someone bring the knowledge. I personally have summed it up as a vent for the wiper motor but yet having zero to do with the operation of the fording system. Does the small plastic tube bring a small amount of pressure to the electric motor??
Mine is plugged with an epoxy as left from the motorpool…And my wiper motor is not original to my jeep..Still confused as to the two different fording valves and seemingly enough--- two different wiper motors….???? :?:

Joe 8)
1976 M151A2 USMC

muttfink
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by muttfink » May 11th, 2009, 12:26 am

Cobra5
I have seen this system intact on three separate A2's,all were late model and Marine. I also have a boxed motor dated 9/88,and the fording valve has a threaded opening for the fitting. For what purpose,other than venting,I still don't know. I proposed this same question to Ken Whowell,he thought it might be part of a long term dry storage preparation(possibly with Barstow in mind). If you don't mind...a few questions : Do you know the date of your 151? Are the wire loom hangers plastic loops? Is it undercoated,and does the undercoating extend to the engine compartment or hood? Are the gage cluster plate,trailer plug cover,or hood fasteners mounted with Cad plated Phillips head screws? I'm determined to confirm the intended use of this modification,but a mystery it remains. Regards

Muttfink

owensexport
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by owensexport » May 11th, 2009, 7:21 pm

All of the Barstow USMC Jeeps we got that were built in the 1979 contract and later had
this type of valve on it. I dont think I have ever seen a NOS Wiper motor that had
the matching fitting on it.

When we restored the Jeeps we bought, we had to drill a hole
and tap out the casting on the wiper motor to reinstall the fitting.

This was purely part of the fording kit for Marine Corps only.
I saw original Jeeps that were older contracts (with less than 100 miles on them) that
did not have the fitting on the fording valves or the wiper motors.

the ones that did have the fittings have a small white plastic tube running
from the valve, through the grommet for the choke/throttle cables, up
under the dash, and up around the steering column where it attached
to the wiper motor.

If you run the engine with this type of valve and no hose connected, you will
have a vacuum leak that will make the carb run lean. Plug it up with a small
cap or fill the end of the fitting with Solder.

owensexport
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by owensexport » May 11th, 2009, 7:45 pm

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » May 11th, 2009, 7:54 pm

Very interesting. I learn something new here about every day :!: :D
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

Cobra5
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Cobra5 » May 11th, 2009, 11:53 pm

muttfink wrote:Do you know the date of your 151? Are the wire loom hangers plastic loops? Is it undercoated,and does the undercoating extend to the engine compartment or hood? Are the gage cluster plate,trailer plug cover,or hood fasteners mounted with Cad plated Phillips head screws?
muttfink,
My contract number is 77 and the engine has a matching number. The horn date is 78 and the transmission is 79. I consulted with Ken aka muttguru and he agrees it's most likely a late model 78. The wire loom hangars are metal. The undercoating starts from the engine bay frame back to the rear and the hood is also undercoated. The screws were all cad plated. My A-2 was originally a USMC vehicle but appears to have been transfered to the Navy at the end of its life
owensexport wrote:All of the Barstow USMC Jeeps we got that were built in the 1979 contract and later had
this type of valve on it. I dont think I have ever seen a NOS Wiper motor that had

Are saying this could be a Barstow mutt that was procured by the Navy? Also why would mine have a 77 contract number if by what you've experienced with this setup should only be on a 79 contract.

gpready
usmc cwo3
usmc cwo3

Unread post by gpready » May 12th, 2009, 12:45 am

BUT what the heck does it do? Does it in fact pressurize the wiper motor? :? :? :?

Clear that it's organic to "late USMC A2s" but I'll add that all the late A2's out here (eastcoast) have them to include my 76...

View of the plastic tube

View of the fitting that is plugged on my 76

View of another of the tube/fitting
1976 M151A2 USMC

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » May 12th, 2009, 6:29 am

AHH, I see you have one of those very rare cable controlled intake systems! :lol:

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

gpready
usmc cwo3
usmc cwo3

Unread post by gpready » May 12th, 2009, 8:20 pm

Rick,

:lol: :lol: Took me a minute but then I spotted it! :lol: :lol:
1976 M151A2 USMC

owensexport
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by owensexport » May 12th, 2009, 8:32 pm

muttfink,
My contract number is 77 and the engine has a matching number. The horn date is 78 and the transmission is 79. I consulted with Ken aka muttguru and he agrees it's most likely a late model 78. The wire loom hangars are metal. The undercoating starts from the engine bay frame back to the rear and the hood is also undercoated. The screws were all cad plated. My A-2 was originally a USMC vehicle but appears to have been transfered to the Navy at the end of its life
owensexport wrote:All of the Barstow USMC Jeeps we got that were built in the 1979 contract and later had

Are saying this could be a Barstow mutt that was procured by the Navy? Also why would mine have a 77 contract number if by what you've experienced with this setup should only be on a 79 contract.

Who can tell! I just know what I saw there. I did not have a chance to look at ever single
Jeep that was on the base when we picked ours out.... Everything that I did notice
seemed to be 79 and later. They may have also updated earlier models with the wiper motor
vent system.

owensexport
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by owensexport » May 12th, 2009, 8:38 pm

gpready wrote:BUT what the heck does it do? Does it in fact pressurize the wiper motor? :? :? :?

Clear that it's organic to "late USMC A2s" but I'll add that all the late A2's out here (eastcoast) have them to include my 76...

When the control is in the normal position, it has a slight vacuum that will draw
moisture out of the wiper motor housing.
When the cable is in the fording position, it will supply a slight pressure from
the exhaust blowby that will help prevent water from coming into the wiper motor (at
least in theory!!!)

Cobra5
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Cobra5 » May 12th, 2009, 11:22 pm

owensexport wrote:Who can tell! I just know what I saw there. I did not have a chance to look at ever single
Jeep that was on the base when we picked ours out.... Everything that I did notice
seemed to be 79 and later. They may have also updated earlier models with the wiper motor
vent system.
Steve,

I thought maybe you knew something more than the rest of us. I'll stick with calling it a 78.

Tim

muttfink
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by muttfink » May 13th, 2009, 2:01 am

Steve Thank you for all the information,that may be the most I can ever hope to get.

Cobra5 Thanks for your answers. I'm working on a hood as well,each time I bolt it back up the alignment and gaps seem different. Is it a three rib?

gpready It looks like your photos are of three different motors;Yes/No? I believe plastic loom hangers would only be found on a late model A2. Regards

Muttfink