Might shoulda left good enough alone

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

mallard
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Might shoulda left good enough alone

Unread post by mallard » October 28th, 2014, 9:41 pm

Well as I'm waiting on the gas tank I decided to tweak on my jeep a little but I think I have gone in the wrong direction. I decided to check the timing and tweak the mixture screw. After all of this it is now taking more choke to crank and I have to leave the choke on longer while it warms up. Also when first started it has to warm up at idle, if I try to back out it dies. Also I just noticed that my exhaust manifold is getting red.

Here is what I did

To adjust the timing I let the motor warm up completely then changed the front most spark plug wire to a regular spark plug wire (suppression core, does that make a difference). Then cranked it back up and rotated the distributor toward the firewall until the mark and the pointer lined up

For the carb I just checked and the idle mixture screw is now set 2-1/2 turns out from where it bottoms out. The carb is a ordnance no 11681709 from '75

I know I did something wrong now I need help figuring out what :oops:
1965 M151A1

rickf
General
General

Re: Might shoulda left good enough alone

Unread post by rickf » October 29th, 2014, 6:56 am

Sounds like the timing is retarded but your procedure sounds correct. Are the plug wires on in the right order and are you sure the distributor is not 180 degrees out of time. You will have to pull number one plug and rotate the engine until you feel compression and then bring up the mark on the pointer. Then take the distributor cap of and see where the rotor is pointing. Number one should be towards the front close to the block but if 180 out it will be firewall side closest to the horn. If that is the case the easiest thing to do short of dropping the oil pan to change the distributor gear to the right position is to just time it on that plug wire as you normally would on number one wire.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

mallard
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by mallard » October 29th, 2014, 7:36 pm

We'll got home and moved the distributor back toward the front, The notch is now about an inch to the passenger side of the pointer and it is running much better. However if I rev it up several times pushing down on the carb and I have the lights out I can still see the exhaust manifold getting a little red but not as bad. One more note, my exhaust manifold does leak if that makes any difference.

I looked at several pictures of engines and my plugs all look like they are in the correct place

My dog crushed the screen on my laptop so all I have is my phone and I don't know how to use photo bucket on it. I can email the pictures to someone of where the timing mark was and is now and also the spark plug wire orientation. Thanks for the help. I'll try to shoot the manifold with my temp gun tomorrow and see what it is.
1965 M151A1

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » October 30th, 2014, 6:56 am

The exhaust manifold is only thin stainless steel and the way it is designed the exhaust blows straight out into the side of it so it will glow at night in the dark. This is not something you would see under normal working conditions because it is usually light out. If it is glowing brightly then you have a problem. That is caused be excess fuel still burning in the exhaust.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

njjeeper
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by njjeeper » October 30th, 2014, 7:41 pm

Sounds to me like you leaned it out with the mixture screw adjust. Only time I have had glowing manifolds is on super lean conditions. If thats the case, be careful. Lean conditions burn valves....